From: "Peter "Firefly" Lund" on
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Jonathan Thornburg -- remove -animal to reply wrote:

> I suspect that even with today's simulation capability, similar bugs
> still lurk in modern microprocessors. In fact, I'm sure of it -- just
> look at the errata sheet for your favorite microprocessor.

Yes, but they are a lot more complicated than what I have in mind. It's
hard to create race conditions for an in-order pipelined machine with only
one clock domain. Almost every signal flows in the same direction and
each pipeline stage can be verified in isolation.

Secondly, this is something that actually can be verified and proved.

-Peter
From: jacko on

Peter "Firefly" Lund wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Jonathan Thornburg -- remove -animal to reply wrote:
>
> > I suspect that even with today's simulation capability, similar bugs
> > still lurk in modern microprocessors. In fact, I'm sure of it -- just
> > look at the errata sheet for your favorite microprocessor.
>
> Yes, but they are a lot more complicated than what I have in mind. It's
> hard to create race conditions for an in-order pipelined machine with only
> one clock domain. Almost every signal flows in the same direction and
> each pipeline stage can be verified in isolation.

not so much a race within the machine, but a race on the WR signal for
external ram interface etc.

From: Del Cecchi on

"jacko" <jackokring(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Peter "Firefly" Lund wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Jonathan Thornburg -- remove -animal to reply
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I suspect that even with today's simulation capability, similar bugs
>> > still lurk in modern microprocessors. In fact, I'm sure of it --
>> > just
>> > look at the errata sheet for your favorite microprocessor.
>>
>> Yes, but they are a lot more complicated than what I have in mind.
>> It's
>> hard to create race conditions for an in-order pipelined machine with
>> only
>> one clock domain. Almost every signal flows in the same direction and
>> each pipeline stage can be verified in isolation.
>
> not so much a race within the machine, but a race on the WR signal for
> external ram interface etc.
>
>> Secondly, this is something that actually can be verified and proved.
>>
>> -Peter

Are you guys talking about classic synchronous logic race conditions, or
some sort of logical microarchitecture race? In the former case, modern
timing tools are pretty good at finding those.

From: Eric Smith on
ChrisQuayle wrote:
> Do you have any other info or
> pointers to the 3800/3804 series ?...

Unfortunately not. It's *really* tough to find information on 1960s
and early 1970s chips now.
From: toby on

Eric Smith wrote:
> ChrisQuayle wrote:
> > Do you have any other info or
> > pointers to the 3800/3804 series ?...
>
> Unfortunately not. It's *really* tough to find information on 1960s
> and early 1970s chips now.

Is anyone really surprised, in this dumpster-happy system?

It's pretty tough to find information on chips released last week, too.
(For somewhat different reasons.)

</grump>

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: Software vs Hardware
Next: Searching for the PDP-3