From: ChrisQuayle on
drhowarddrfine wrote:

> Yes, that is correct. We would have pullups/downs because tri-state was
> not allowed. The value depended on the length of the bus and impedance.
> I want to say the value was more like 1Meg but 100K sounds right, too.
> I just don't remember.
>
> iirc, I had to incorporate an outboard timer to timeout invalid accesses.

I think the major difference is between an synchronous bus and
asynchronous bus. In the first instance, the cpu just assumes that the
peripheral is always ready to do a transfer and strobes the data
blindly, with no ack from the external device. An asynchronous bus also
strobes the data, but then waits to get an acknowledge from the device
logic once the transfer is complete.

The first model is more robust and is easier to recover from, as you can
set a timer to generate an exception on a failed ack, but the
synchronous model might be faster overall...

Chris

From: drhowarddrfine on
ChrisQuayle wrote:

> The first model is more robust and is easier to recover from, as you can
> set a timer to generate an exception on a failed ack, but the
> synchronous model might be faster overall...
>
> Chris

I believe this is correct
From: drhowarddrfine on
ChrisQuayle wrote:

>> As far as I can tell, the 8086/8088 was also easier to interface with
>> than the 68000/68008. I'm referring both to how you hook up memory
>> and I/O devices, how interrupts are handled, and how the initial
>> bootup is handled.
>>
>> That also tends to matter ;) -- but since I'm not nearly as sure about
>> this point I won't belabor it. I might be wrong here.
Again, iirc, and it's been a long time, I seem to remember it being much
easier to design with the 68K. The 8086/88 needed a number of outboard
chips and there was some bizarre timing involved but the 68k did not
need outboard chips.

My memory may fail me here because I so soundly rejected the 8086 on
that and the programming model, as mentioned below, that I never paid it
any attention since.

From: "Peter "Firefly" Lund" on
On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, ChrisQuayle wrote:

>> Some of the 68K models used different exception stack frame formats than
>> others, without having a compatibility flag.
>
> But that doesn't matter, as 68k exceptions are fully vectored, so you always

It certainly does. It means you have to upgrade your operating
system or install a funny "extension" to do the job instead of the
operating system if you want to use the newer CPU.

> Last time I looked, even the arm cores, current darlings of the embedded
> telephony and handheld device market, only had a basic 2 level interrupt
> structure. Should imagine quite helpfull for real time multi interrupting
> device work ^)...

I don't think having many prioritized interrupt levels really matters all
that much. Vectors probably do but not priorities.

-Peter
From: "Peter "Firefly" Lund" on
On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Eric P. wrote:

> Hmmm... I looked at some of the above page again, and after a bit
> more thought this this looks like just a marketing burb to sell
> their brand of 68000 board and a red herring issue.

Marketing, yes. Red herring? I don't believe so.

To give you a better answer I'll have to dig around a bit -- the six 68K
data books I have do not cover the original 68K very well.

Give me a timeout of about three days :)

-Peter
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: Software vs Hardware
Next: Searching for the PDP-3