From: Nathan Baker on
"wolfgang kern" <nowhere(a)never.at> wrote in message

> Ok Nate, we had enough discussions on this matter since HLLs
> entered our progamming world ...
> We better give up arguing and let the 'faster' programmers
> be proud of their 'maintainable/foolproof-readable' sources
> which are awful detours with "abstraction layers" while the
> few hardware freaks like me work on "really existing things" :)

The CPU experiences a nightmare while executing HLL code. Perhaps there is
an instructive way for us to demonstrate this fact?

Nathan.

From: Nick Keighley on
On 8 May, 01:41, Lie Ryan <lie.1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > I've never heard of any programming languages that doesn't support
> > recursion.
>
> except for assembly, perhaps... or some very ancient or jokular languages

FORTRAN (in its original form), Coral-66 you had to use a special
keyword to indicate a function was recursive. Some BASICs probably
didn't alow recursion. But these all qualify as "ancient" (and maybe
jocular!)

From: Nick Keighley on
On 8 May, 07:50, "io_x" <a...(a)b.c.invalid> wrote:
> "Lie Ryan" <lie.1...(a)gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggionews:4be4b38f$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> > On 05/08/10 10:39, Lie Ryan wrote:

> >> I've never heard of any programming languages that doesn't support
> >> recursion.
>
> > except for assembly, perhaps... or some very ancient or jokular languages
>
> with assembly is possible to write recursions functions too

depends on the architecture
From: Nick Keighley on
On 8 May, 11:25, "Nathan Baker" <nathancba...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> "Juha Nieminen" <nos...(a)thanks.invalid> wrote in message
> > In comp.lang.c++ io_x <a...(a)b.c.invalid> wrote:

> >> with assembly is possible to write recursions functions too
>
> >  That's like saying that C supports object-oriented programming.
>
> Of course it does!  C certainly has support for data structures.
>
> There is absolutely no high-level language feature that can't also be
> implemented in C and ASM.

the Turing tar pit where everything is possible and nothing is
feasible

From: Keith Thompson on
Juha Nieminen <nospam(a)thanks.invalid> writes:
> In comp.lang.c++ io_x <a(a)b.c.invalid> wrote:
>> with assembly is possible to write recursions functions too
>
> That's like saying that C supports object-oriented programming.

Depending on the architecure, not really. Supporting full
object-orientation in C can be quite difficult. For some assembly
languages (certainly for the very few I've used), recursion is just
a matter of having a subroutine call itself.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u(a)mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
Nokia