From: io_x on
[Xpost to: alt.comp.programming, alt.lang.asm,
comp.lang.c, comp.lang.c++, comp.programming]

the people that speak not good about "goto"
are uttled wrong; their code bug full etc

more distant is your code from goto
more your code is bug full and incompresible

the "goto" is the key word for programming;
all the remain, other than goto or jmp or jc or jz,
and the easy cpu layout
is the wrong way for programming

i advise all you
Good Morning

From: Ali Karaali on
I use goto to break nested for loops and I can't see a
reason to ban goto.

Ali

From: Alexei A. Frounze on
On Apr 24, 3:13 am, "io_x" <a...(a)b.c.invalid> wrote:
> [Xpost to: alt.comp.programming, alt.lang.asm,
> comp.lang.c, comp.lang.c++, comp.programming]
>
> the people that speak not good about "goto"
> are uttled wrong; their code bug full etc
>
> more distant is your code from goto
> more your code is bug full and incompresible
>
> the "goto" is the key word for programming;
> all the remain, other than goto or jmp or jc or jz,
> and the easy cpu layout
> is the wrong way for programming
>
> i advise all you
> Good Morning

Everything may be used, misused and abused, goto included. There are
good and bad usage patterns and goto is not an exception here. I can
list a number of other things that may be just as bad as a poorly used
goto (or as good as a good goto). See?

Alex
From: Mensanator on
On Apr 24, 5:13 am, "io_x" <a...(a)b.c.invalid> wrote:
> [Xpost to: alt.comp.programming, alt.lang.asm,
> comp.lang.c, comp.lang.c++, comp.programming]
>
> the people that speak not good about "goto"
> are uttled wrong; their code bug full etc
>
> more distant is your code from goto
> more your code is bug full and incompresible
>
> the "goto" is the key word for programming;
> all the remain, other than goto or jmp or jc or jz,
> and the easy cpu layout
> is the wrong way for programming
>
> i advise all you
> Good Morning

Yeah, there's nothing more fun than converting BASIC to Pascal.

Only to discover that goto was used to return from a sub-routine
without clearing the stack.
From: spinoza1111 on
On Apr 24, 6:06 pm, Ali Karaali <ali...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I use goto to break nested for loops and I can't see a
> reason to ban goto.

Why not use break instead? Does the same thing, spares you from having
to define a label.

There are two senses in which a program can be structured.

The first is syntactical, and to be syntactically structured, the
source code of the program must be restricted to structured syntax, of
which neither goto nor break is a strict example. You'd have to
simulate the break logic:

broken = false;
for(!broken && condition)
{
.
.
.
if (exceptional condition) broken = true;
else
{
.
.
.
}
}

The second is semantic. To be structured in this way, the program must
be decomposable without change into blocks, each at most one entry and
at most one exit, and each of which is one of the Bohm-Jacopini
constructs process, if..then..else, or do while.

If the program is syntactically structured, it must be semantically
structured. But the reverse is not true; an assembler program using go
to can be semantically structured but it is not syntactically
structured, like this inefficient and contrived example

LOAD 0
STOR i
LBL1:
LOAD i
COMP limit
IFGE LBL19
..
..
..
IFEQ LBL12
LOAD j
STOR v
GOTO LBL129
LBL12:
LOAD k
STOR v2
LBL129:
..
..
..
LOAD i
ADD 1
STOR i
GOTO LBL1
LBL19:

Then, certain extensions are permitted including most famously case
without fallthrough, one trip do "until", and break, implemented
semantically with a go to to a label one past the end of the loop or
syntactically with break.

A breaking loop is a new structure relative to the three Bohm-Jacopini
structures, switch case and one trip do. And it "weakens" the
postconditions that must obtain on exit. Most famously, the index of a
breaking loop may not be one past the end of what was being processed.