From: io_x on

"Alexei A. Frounze" ha scritto nel messaggio
>On Apr 24, 3:13 am, "io_x" <a...(a)b.c.invalid> wrote:
>> [Xpost to: alt.comp.programming, alt.lang.asm,
>> comp.lang.c, comp.lang.c++, comp.programming]
>>
>> the people that speak not good about "goto"
>> are uttled wrong; their code bug full etc
>>
>> more distant is your code from goto
>> more your code is bug full and incompresible
>>
>> the "goto" is the key word for programming;
>> all the remain, other than goto or jmp or jc or jz,
>> and the easy cpu layout
>> is the wrong way for programming
>>
>> i advise all you
>> Good Morning

>Everything may be used, misused and abused, goto included. There are
>good and bad usage patterns and goto is not an exception here. I can
>list a number of other things that may be just as bad as a poorly used
>goto (or as good as a good goto). See?

what does it mean "patterns"?
all programming is all about choose the right gotos

From: io_x on
"spinoza1111" ha scritto
Sorry i not have a computer science degree, i have a degree only
in math; possible i not merit it too, so possible
i not thought enough or not have the instruction
for speak about this argument.
[for instruction i mean study CS, math, phisic, history,
languages, biology, etc etc read books etc etc]
Hope so not to be in the ones that not understand problems
and propose not good solutions due his lack of think
to the argument or for not enough instruction

yes there are many ways, where will be the right way?

i'm just lazy
i'm not like you, all you
i think in how i can write something in less words possible
or in how beauty something in one page can be;

you can tell to "Bohm-Jacopini"
that, is not important where there are the enters
and where are the exits in a piece of code
the important is that all this is readable and followable
the important is that the eye can see all the code paths
and follow well what happen

for

>LOAD 0
>STOR i
>LBL1:
>LOAD i
>COMP limit
>IFGE LBL19
..
..
..
>IFEQ LBL12
>LOAD j
<STOR v
>GOTO LBL129
>LBL12:
>LOAD k
>STOR v2
>LBL129:
..
..
..
>LOAD i
>ADD 1
>STOR i
>GOTO LBL1
>LBL19:

here the readability is near to 0 because there is no indentation
not multi-line instructions
and because the assembly instructions are little
they have not need of big words
but they have need little len words

somethig like
<i
LBL1:
>i|i>=*limit#LBL19
cold be better traslated
push i
LBL1:
pop i|cmp i, [limit]|jGE LBL19
..

"mov eax, 19"
is not a big operation
not has need of big words
so could write it just as "a=19"
Assembly have one vantage too,
when write "mov eax, 19"
we know eax is a 32 bit register
instead in C or C++
"int a=19;"
and don't know how many bit are in "int"

From: io_x on

"Ali Karaali" ha scritto nel messaggio
>I use goto to break nested for loops and I can't see a
> reason to ban goto.

i would use goto or the asm extentions (jz, jnz, jnc, jc)
for all the programming

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
"Daniel T." <daniel_t(a)earthlink.net> writes:

> Ali Karaali <alicpp(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I use goto to break nested for loops and I can't see a
>> reason to ban goto.
>
> I'll give you a reason to ban goto. This is a line of BASIC code:
>
> 90 x = 5
>
> Now, I ask you, where is the line that was previously executed? Is it
> directly above line 90, is it directly below it, or could it be anywhere
> in the program? Because of the goto statement, simply because an
> unstructured "goto" is possible in the language, you have to analyze the
> entire program to know the answer. If we ban the use of "goto", we can
> confidently know exactly what line of code comes before line 90.

You have to EXECUTE the entire program before knowing where you came
from, thanks to computed GOTOs :-)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Alexei A. Frounze on
On Apr 24, 10:48 am, "io_x" <a...(a)b.c.invalid> wrote:
> "Alexei A. Frounze" ha scritto nel messaggionews:9aedd878-0ccc-4f4a-b522-7e80b96f5fc5(a)m25g2000prj.googlegroups.com...
>

> >On Apr 24, 3:13 am, "io_x" <a...(a)b.c.invalid> wrote:
> >> [Xpost to: alt.comp.programming, alt.lang.asm,
> >> comp.lang.c, comp.lang.c++, comp.programming]
>
> >> the people that speak not good about "goto"
> >> are uttled wrong; their code bug full etc
>
> >> more distant is your code from goto
> >> more your code is bug full and incompresible
>
> >> the "goto" is the key word for programming;
> >> all the remain, other than goto or jmp or jc or jz,
> >> and the easy cpu layout
> >> is the wrong way for programming
>
> >> i advise all you
> >> Good Morning
> >Everything may be used, misused and abused, goto included. There are
> >good and bad usage patterns and goto is not an exception here. I can
> >list a number of other things that may be just as bad as a poorly used
> >goto (or as good as a good goto). See?
>
> what does it mean "patterns"?

Not sure what you mean here.

> all programming is all about choose the right gotos

If your programs consisted only of gotos (as I infer from the above),
they would be useless. Programming is not all about choosing the right
gotos. Less so all programming. It's about many more things.

Alex