From: Richard Heathfield on
Daniel T. wrote:
> Now watch the pendents on the other side beat me to a pulp for
> "being so dogmatic." :-)

It's *pedants*, darn you!

But if anyone beats you to a pulp for being so "dogmatic" as to favour
SESE, that's their problem, not yours. But you needn't worry - they're
all too busy trying to disentangle their latest masterpiece's control flow.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within
From: Leigh Johnston on

"Richard Heathfield" <rjh(a)see.sig.invalid> wrote in message
> Daniel T. wrote:
>> Now watch the pendents on the other side beat me to a pulp for "being so
>> dogmatic." :-)
>
> It's *pedants*, darn you!
>
> But if anyone beats you to a pulp for being so "dogmatic" as to favour
> SESE, that's their problem, not yours. But you needn't worry - they're all
> too busy trying to disentangle their latest masterpiece's control flow.

SESE is a relic, only of interest to programmers who use antiquated
simplistic programming languages such as C.

/Leigh

From: Richard Heathfield on
Leigh Johnston wrote:

> "Richard Heathfield" <rjh(a)see.sig.invalid> wrote in message
>> Daniel T. wrote:
>>> Now watch the pendents on the other side beat me to a pulp for "being
>>> so dogmatic." :-)
>>
>> It's *pedants*, darn you!
>>
>> But if anyone beats you to a pulp for being so "dogmatic" as to favour
>> SESE, that's their problem, not yours. But you needn't worry - they're
>> all too busy trying to disentangle their latest masterpiece's control
>> flow.
>>

> SESE is a relic, only of interest to programmers who use antiquated
> simplistic programming languages such as C.

That isn't the first time you've made that assertion. You didn't offer
any evidence to back it up last time, either. Given that comp.lang.c is
one of the newsgroups to which this thread is cross-posted, the
uncharitable thought has crossed my mind that you're trying to start a
flame war.

We develop our own programming styles (and use our particular
programming languages of choice) for a good reason - we are all
different, and some styles (or languages) suit some people's patterns of
thought, whilst those same styles (or languages) don't 'gel' with other
people, so they use different styles (or languages). Vive la difference!
Cultural diversity is a good thing.

If SESE doesn't float your boat, fine, don't use it. But to /insult/ it
is just ridiculous, and calls your objectivity into question.

From: Leigh Johnston on

> Leigh Johnston wrote:
>>

>> "Richard Heathfield" <rjh(a)see.sig.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> It's *pedants*, darn you!
>>>
>>> But if anyone beats you to a pulp for being so "dogmatic" as to favour
>>> SESE, that's their problem, not yours. But you needn't worry - they're
>>> all too busy trying to disentangle their latest masterpiece's control
>>> flow.
>>>

>> SESE is a relic, only of interest to programmers who use antiquated
>> simplistic programming languages such as C.
>
> That isn't the first time you've made that assertion. You didn't offer any
> evidence to back it up last time, either. Given that comp.lang.c is one of
> the newsgroups to which this thread is cross-posted, the uncharitable
> thought has crossed my mind that you're trying to start a flame war.

You are *also* cross-posting to a C++ newsgroup where SESE is an
irrelevance. Pot, kettle etc. SEME is embedded in the C++ language itself
through its exception support and RAII.

/Leigh

From: Juha Nieminen on
In comp.lang.c++ g3rc4n(a)gmail.com <g3rc4n(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> it's the least confusing and quickest way to run exit code from a
> function
>
> void f(bool param)
> {
> if(param)
> {
> // do something
> goto on_exit;
> }
> // something else
> on_exit:
> // some code that was added a month later
> // some code that was added 2 months later
> }

Could you please give some *actual* *concrete* well-designed piece of
C++ code where the solution you present above is the easiest, cleanest and
safest way? (Note that C++ code may exit from functions unexpectedly due
to thrown exceptions. Hence your solution must not leak anything even if
an unexpected exception happens in the middle.)