From: mjt on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:32:41 -0400
WLS <rafter22(a)verizonREMOVE.net> wrote:

> You really should read the weekly news articles.
>
> http://news.opensuse.org/2010/07/09/opensuse-wiki-change-scheduled/

"openSUSE Wiki Change Scheduled"
[...]

Schedule
The transition will begin on Monday, July 12 at 17:00 GMT
(1:oo PM EDT) The move should be completed in 10–15 minutes.

That would be 12noon my timezone. My original post was
at 3:10pm, inquiring about the wiki, about 2 1/2 hours
beyond the "10-15 minutes" the transition was to take :)

--
The grand leap of the whale up the Fall of Niagara is esteemed,
by all who have seen it, as one of the finest spectacles in nature.

From: WLS on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:31:07 -0500, mjt wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:32:41 -0400
> WLS <rafter22(a)verizonREMOVE.net> wrote:
>
>> You really should read the weekly news articles.
>>
>> http://news.opensuse.org/2010/07/09/opensuse-wiki-change-scheduled/
>
> ================================================= "openSUSE Wiki Change
> Scheduled"
> [...]
>
> Schedule
> The transition will begin on Monday, July 12 at 17:00 GMT (1:oo PM EDT)
> The move should be completed in 10–15 minutes.
>
> That would be 12noon my timezone. My original post was at 3:10pm,
> inquiring about the wiki, about 2 1/2 hours beyond the "10-15 minutes"
> the transition was to take :)

Yep, I've had a few transitions that were supposed to take 10-15 minutes,
take a little longer in my short career. It happens.

Once when our server that uploaded all the photos to the Internet, that
my company processed, crashed due to a technician error, I spent 16 hours
without a break rebuilding it with the systems engineers.

That technician never made that mistake again! I fired myself. LOL!

--
openSUSE 11.2x86_64 (Gnome 2.28.2) | AMD Athlon(tm) 64 3000+ | 2GB RAM
From: mjt on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:46:50 +0200
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:

> > That would be 12noon my timezone. My original post was
> > at 3:10pm, inquiring about the wiki, about 2 1/2 hours
> > beyond the "10-15 minutes" the transition was to take :)
>
> How did they do the transition? Even 10-15 minutes is a LONG time.

I have no idea how they did it.

> Ways I would do it.
> 1) DNS changes. Have a new server for the new IP adress
> 2) Restart of Apache, edit the /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/* files
> 3) Rename /srv/www/htdocs (whatever dir it is in)

I believe I'd take a quicker and easier route. I'd have a
dedicated partition for the wiki - you know ... have /srv
in its own partition. Stop Apache, then change the mount
point (/srv) to the new partition, and start up Apache.
Am I missing anything?

--
It will be advantageous to cross the great stream ... the Dragon is on
the wing in the Sky ... the Great Man rouses himself to his Work.

From: Malcolm on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:38:01 -0500
mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:46:50 +0200
> houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
>
> > > That would be 12noon my timezone. My original post was
> > > at 3:10pm, inquiring about the wiki, about 2 1/2 hours
> > > beyond the "10-15 minutes" the transition was to take :)
> >
> > How did they do the transition? Even 10-15 minutes is a LONG time.
>
> I have no idea how they did it.
>
> > Ways I would do it.
> > 1) DNS changes. Have a new server for the new IP adress
> > 2) Restart of Apache, edit the /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/* files
> > 3) Rename /srv/www/htdocs (whatever dir it is in)
>
> I believe I'd take a quicker and easier route. I'd have a
> dedicated partition for the wiki - you know ... have /srv
> in its own partition. Stop Apache, then change the mount
> point (/srv) to the new partition, and start up Apache.
> Am I missing anything?

Then there is this from the wili mailing list....

Matthew Ehle;

"As some of you may know, we have hit a little snag with the wikis. One
of the two primary web servers for www.opensuse.org,
files.opensuse.org, and the wiki farm had a major hardware failure
yesterday. After some discussion with the data center, we decided that
it would be safer to keep that server out of the rotation, rather than
attempt to fix and bring the server back online during the 11.3
release."

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-wiki/2010-07/msg00125.html

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.13-0.4-default

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: 11.3 GM is out
Next: USB Stick Size?