From: Fred on
Hi, I deleted all messages from the sent items and deleted items folders, yet
when I check the dbx files for these folders they are quite large, around 17
mb in size. I would think they would be zero. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot.
--
Fred
From: Peter Foldes on
crossposted to the outlookexpress.general newsgroup
--
Peter

From: Jim on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:17:01 -0700, Fred
<Fred(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, I deleted all messages from the sent items and deleted items folders, yet
>when I check the dbx files for these folders they are quite large, around 17
>mb in size. I would think they would be zero. Can anyone help?
>
>Thanks a lot.

Close / reopen program ?
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
> "Fred" <Fred(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I deleted all messages from the sent items and deleted items
>> folders, yet
>> when I check the dbx files for these folders they are quite large,
>> around 17
>> mb in size. I would think they would be zero. Can anyone help?

Dbx files won't get smaller until you compact the associated "folders".

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
See http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)