From: SoftShell on

"Dewittian" <dewittian(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jul 31, 7:58 pm, "Dave \"Mod Bod\" Modisette"
<dmodise...(a)gatortraks.com> wrote:
> Dewittian wrote:
> > On Jul 31, 5:56 pm, "Dave \"Mod Bod\" Modisette"
> > <dmodise...(a)gatortraks.com> wrote:
> >> Neither of these instruments are drum machines. They have no internal
> >> sounds and inputting drum tracks with them would be no different than
> >> using a midi keyboard controller except for the gum rubber pads on
> >> them.
>
> >> --
> >> Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette
>
> >>http://www.gatortraks.com/forumhttp://www.gatortraks.com
>
> > So they use the USB and software to get power and control output that
> > is sent through a separate MIDI out?
>
> Midi out meaning the midi data from the Nanopad to your DAW midi input.
> Some of them are powered by USB. If there is an alternate 9V power
> input, I usually use that to keep from overtaxing my computer's power
> supply.
>
> --
> Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette
>
> http://www.gatortraks.com/forumhttp://www.gatortraks.com

Thanks for the tip about power supply.

I have a teribyte drive for backup. I leave it on always and it shows
up as a mapped drive in explorer but the settings put it to sleep
until I click on it in explorer . ( 3 physical drives and the second
one partitioned I have the programs on the main C drive.

The second is partitioned with all my samples on 1 partition and
sonar files on another partition.

.. It would be a hassle to unplug the USB drive when I'm not using
it. Do you think that drive might use resources when sleeping?

The only time I have drop-outs is when I'm mixing and have all the
vst, reverb EQ etc... So I bounce all tracks to audio tracks picking
up all the effects to track each track. Then I work from the new
file.

The problem is that any more changes to the final mix on audio tracks
don't get saved to the old file with the MIDI tracks so I can change
samples. By the time I'm finished my file is significantly changed on
the new file with on the audio tracks.

Does anyone know a way to take a audio track and convert it to MIDI?

That way I can switch samples and bounce to track again and be done.
Of course i'd have to do it in the file that still runs on MIDI or
loose the effects when I bounce.

Does anybody out there have some advice on my creative process?

Doesn't Sonar retain the original MIDI tracks when bouncing to audio? Been a
while since I done that so I'm not sure. If so, archive the MIDI, then save
the file. If not, copy and paste the originals to new tracks, archive the
new tracks, bounce the originals to audio & then save the file. Either way,
the original MIDI tracks are still included in your latest file so you can
always go back and try out different samples or whatever. Hint : If you
prefer the newer changes archive the older audio, just in case there's
something there you want to go back to at some later time. Archiving a track
not only silences it but also removes all useage of resources including
associated effects. Only drawback is increased file size. Not too much of a
problem with terabyte+ HDD's.

--
_____________________

Steve Wilson

From: Dewittian on
On Aug 1, 11:34 am, "SoftShell" <SoftSh...(a)NoSpamThankYou.com> wrote:
> [...]
> the file. If not, copy and paste the originals to new tracks, archive the
> new tracks, bounce the originals to audio & then save the file. Either way,
> the original MIDI tracks are still included in your latest file so you can
> always go back and try out different samples or whatever. Hint : If you
> prefer the newer changes archive the older audio, just in case there's
> something there you want to go back to at some later time. Archiving a track
> not only silences it but also removes all useage of resources including
> associated effects. Only drawback is increased file size. Not too much of a
> problem with terabyte+ HDD's.
>
> --
>         _____________________
>
>                                              Steve Wilson
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...(a)netfront.net ---

NOW BACK TO DRUM PAD CONTROLS

Since I haven't had anything since to old Rolad R-8 drum machine and
it had nice ruber pads that responded well to velocity changes I'm
looking for the same thing only cheap used and without sounds. I
heard that the "Nanaopad" is not as good a feel as the Korg
Padkontrol. Is anyone out there that programs their drums with a pad
device???

What other brands or models should I look at since all I want is
velocity and a good finger to pad feel?
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Ricky Hunt