From: avallk on
We're running a Windows 2003 domain and have set our password policy
to have a minumum of 14 characters. When users change their password
they get the following warning:

"The password is longer than older versions of windows, such as
windows 98 or windows 95, can use. Press cancel to enter a new
password, or OK to proceed with this password."

We're a strictly Windows XP environment and have no 95 or 98 machines,
is there any way to prevent this warning from popping up?
From: Sinner on

"avallk" <avallk(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We're running a Windows 2003 domain and have set our password policy
> to have a minumum of 14 characters. When users change their password
> they get the following warning:
>
> "The password is longer than older versions of windows, such as
> windows 98 or windows 95, can use. Press cancel to enter a new
> password, or OK to proceed with this password."
>
> We're a strictly Windows XP environment and have no 95 or 98 machines,
> is there any way to prevent this warning from popping up?

MS has probably corrected this issue, but you'll have to update Windows 2008
Server. Microsoft really is the place to ask this question.

Most of us, here, have trouble keeping our desktops and laptops running let
alone worrying about the length of our passwords.

From: ZÿRiX on

"avallk" <avallk(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We're running a Windows 2003 domain and have set our password policy
> to have a minumum of 14 characters. When users change their password
> they get the following warning:
>
> "The password is longer than older versions of windows, such as
> windows 98 or windows 95, can use. Press cancel to enter a new
> password, or OK to proceed with this password."
>
> We're a strictly Windows XP environment and have no 95 or 98 machines,
> is there any way to prevent this warning from popping up?

In GP make sure that the box is unchecked for compatibility with 9X systems
I think there is also a place to remove the check mark in Active
Directory...

During your setup of active directory it should have asked if older systems
where
going to be logging on...

Last note 7 character passwords have enough strength just make sure it is
complex
Example: $aPo35@ the set the rule to change every 90 days...

--
Z�RiX