From: Bigfoot508 on
First, let me apologize, this is not an XP question but I don't know
where to go with it and I have found the readers on this group helpful
in the past.

I have a bunch of floppy disks that have a backup of some data created
with a program called Lotus 1-2-3. Each floppy has 2 files on it. The
first has a file called Backup.001 and another called Control.001. The
second floppy has the same named files but with extension .002. The
rest are the same with extensions .003, .004, etc. I don't have Lotus
1-2-3 software and if I did, I might have to run it on DOS. My old W98
computer has DOS. Is there any way to restore this backup to a file
that could be opened with another program.

Thanks,

js
From: Jim Carter on
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:44:53 -0500, Bigfoot508 <foxy(a)nospam.com>
wrote:

>I have a bunch of floppy disks that have a backup of some data created
>with a program called Lotus 1-2-3. Each floppy has 2 files on it. The
>first has a file called Backup.001 and another called Control.001.

Spreadsheet program likely for either DOS or very early windows. That
is one backup, not several. Try using Excel.
From: WG DaXX on
Jim Carter wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:44:53 -0500, Bigfoot508 <foxy(a)nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a bunch of floppy disks that have a backup of some data created
>> with a program called Lotus 1-2-3. Each floppy has 2 files on it. The
>> first has a file called Backup.001 and another called Control.001.
>
> Spreadsheet program likely for either DOS or very early windows. That
> is one backup, not several. Try using Excel.

Lotus 1-2-3 was cutting edge in it's day, but it's day is long since
past. Sorry ,,, I wouldn't know where to begin to to help you.

By todays standards Lotus was not user friendly, awkward and difficult
to use. It had books and books and books of instructions. Ugly by any
measure but a RR in it's day.
From: Sjouke Burry on
Jim Carter wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:44:53 -0500, Bigfoot508 <foxy(a)nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a bunch of floppy disks that have a backup of some data created
>> with a program called Lotus 1-2-3. Each floppy has 2 files on it. The
>> first has a file called Backup.001 and another called Control.001.
>
> Spreadsheet program likely for either DOS or very early windows. That
> is one backup, not several. Try using Excel.
The filenames point to a formal dos backup.
To cause a lot of problems, MS decided to use a different
backup method in each new dos version.
Try 3.xx 4.xx 5.xx and 6.22, one of them should do it.
If I remember correctly, 6.22 used a (bought) backuptool
like pctools,quite unlike previous versions, so try
version 4 and 5 first.
From: Sjouke Burry on
Jim Carter wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:44:53 -0500, Bigfoot508 <foxy(a)nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a bunch of floppy disks that have a backup of some data created
>> with a program called Lotus 1-2-3. Each floppy has 2 files on it. The
>> first has a file called Backup.001 and another called Control.001.
>
> Spreadsheet program likely for either DOS or very early windows. That
> is one backup, not several. Try using Excel.
I forgot to tel, you have to install those dos-versions,
because the tools did a test for the right command.com version.