From: chrisv on
sandy58 wrote:
> On Jul 30, 10:44 pm, Bigfoot508 <f...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>> First, let me apologize, this is not an XP question but I don't know
>> where to go with it and I have found the readers on this group
>> helpful in the past.
>>
>> I have a bunch of floppy disks that have a backup of some data
>> created with a program called Lotus 1-2-3. Each floppy has 2 files
>> on it. The first has a file called Backup.001 and another called
>> Control.001. The second floppy has the same named files but with
>> extension .002. The rest are the same with extensions .003, .004,
>> etc. I don't have Lotus 1-2-3 software and if I did, I might have
>> to run it on DOS. My old W98 computer has DOS. Is there any way to
>> restore this backup to a file that could be opened with another
>> program.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> js
>
> Maybe rig a partition??
> DOS 6.22 download
> http://www.vetusware.com/download/MS%20DOS%206.22/?id=10

Since DOS needs to be on the <2GB, FAT16, Drive C... maybe you should
carefully explain just "how" the OP does that so there won't be any
confusion. Don't forget to explain how he keeps his XP Boot drive intact.

From: Sjouke Burry on
chrisv wrote:
> sandy58 wrote:
>> On Jul 30, 10:44 pm, Bigfoot508 <f...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>>> First, let me apologize, this is not an XP question but I don't know
>>> where to go with it and I have found the readers on this group
>>> helpful in the past.
>>>
>>> I have a bunch of floppy disks that have a backup of some data
>>> created with a program called Lotus 1-2-3. Each floppy has 2 files
>>> on it. The first has a file called Backup.001 and another called
>>> Control.001. The second floppy has the same named files but with
>>> extension .002. The rest are the same with extensions .003, .004,
>>> etc. I don't have Lotus 1-2-3 software and if I did, I might have
>>> to run it on DOS. My old W98 computer has DOS. Is there any way to
>>> restore this backup to a file that could be opened with another
>>> program.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> js
>> Maybe rig a partition??
>> DOS 6.22 download
>> http://www.vetusware.com/download/MS%20DOS%206.22/?id=10
>
> Since DOS needs to be on the <2GB, FAT16, Drive C... maybe you should
> carefully explain just "how" the OP does that so there won't be any
> confusion. Don't forget to explain how he keeps his XP Boot drive intact.

Thats no problem.
I have my dos partition on the second harddisk, and boot
from a dos floppy, when I want DOS6.22 or dos7(89se).
Dos just ignores any partitions with strange formats,
and the first partition in the chain looking like fat16(or
fat 32 for dos 7) gets C: as drive name.
It is drive E: in win XP .
From: Nil on
On 03 Aug 2008, "chrisv" <chrisv(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in
alt.windows-xp:

> Since DOS needs to be on the <2GB, FAT16, Drive C... maybe you
> should carefully explain just "how" the OP does that so there
> won't be any confusion. Don't forget to explain how he keeps his
> XP Boot drive intact.

Virtual PC, DOSBox, VMware, or other emulated environment.

From: bill lord on
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 08:20:47 -0700, "chrisv" <chrisv(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Since DOS needs to be on the <2GB, FAT16, Drive C...
With a great deal of respect Fat16 would not see any partition >512mb
to do so you would need Fat32.
Bill Lord