From: relic on
Sinner wrote:
> "relic" <relic2(a)cjb.net> wrote in message
>

>> And it illustrates why one shouldn't use MS Backup programs; the data
>> isn't compatible with newer versions.
>>

> I was under the impression that they were backups made by Lotus 123. Of
> course, I've been known to be ignorant of the truth in the past.

LOL -- the OP did keep throwing out program names. I think, to confuse us.

From: Greegor on
Wasn't Ami Pro a Lotus 123 workalike program that sold cheaper?

I'd try MSDOS 3.2.

Backup had a counterpart program named recover I think.

One problem is that programs like Lotus 123 used
copy protection which would NOT be reproduced
in a backup set.

Are you after the working program or the
spreadsheets, docs or database (work files) ?
From: relic on
Greegor wrote:
> Wasn't Ami Pro a Lotus 123 workalike program that sold cheaper?

AMI Pro was a Word Processor.

> I'd try MSDOS 3.2.
>
> Backup had a counterpart program named recover I think.

Check the Google link I gave, there are explicit instructions to recover old
Backup files listed.

> One problem is that programs like Lotus 123 used
> copy protection which would NOT be reproduced
> in a backup set.
>
> Are you after the working program or the
> spreadsheets, docs or database (work files) ?

<sigh> Lotus 123 is a red herring.

From: sandy58 on
On Jul 30, 10:44 pm, Bigfoot508 <f...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> First, let me apologize, this is not an XP question but I don't know
> where to go with it and I have found the readers on this group helpful
> in the past.
>
> I have a bunch of floppy disks that have a backup of some data created
> with a program called Lotus 1-2-3. Each floppy has 2 files on it. The
> first has a file called Backup.001 and another called Control.001. The
> second floppy has the same named files but with extension .002. The
> rest are the same with extensions .003, .004, etc. I don't have Lotus
> 1-2-3 software and if I did, I might have to run it on DOS. My old W98
> computer has DOS. Is there any way to restore this backup to a file
> that could be opened with another program.
>
> Thanks,
>
> js

Maybe rig a partition??
DOS 6.22 download
http://www.vetusware.com/download/MS%20DOS%206.22/?id=10
From: Greegor on
G > Wasn't Ami Pro a Lotus 123 workalike program that sold cheaper?

relic > AMI Pro was a Word Processor.

Sorry. You're right. I was thinking of VP-Planner by Paperback
Software.

Bigfoot, Is the data of any known value, or merely a puzzle?