From: Niel Archer on

> Now that VC9 is the official MS compiler version, you still have TS vs
> NTS. You also need HEAD/PHP53/PHP52. So for the current 227 extensions
> in pecl, that results in a 1,362 builds. Now, if other compilers ARE
> needed (older Apache must have VC6), then that double to 2,724. Oh. I
> forgot x64, so 5,448 builds.

What do you mean "older Apache must have VC6"? When did they change
that, and where is the info to be found?
I've been waiting for an official notice from Apache that they have
changed the version, so that I can put PHP 5.3 on my dev box. As it is,
I see no mention on the site to say what the binaries are built with,
only that VC6 or later is required to compile yourself.

> --
> -----
> Richard Quadling
> "Standing on the shoulders of some very clever giants!"
> EE : http://www.experts-exchange.com/M_248814.html
> Zend Certified Engineer : http://zend.com/zce.php?c=ZEND002498&r=213474731
> ZOPA : http://uk.zopa.com/member/RQuadling

Niel Archer

From: Lester Caine on
Niel Archer wrote:
>> Now that VC9 is the official MS compiler version, you still have TS vs
>> NTS. You also need HEAD/PHP53/PHP52. So for the current 227 extensions
>> in pecl, that results in a 1,362 builds. Now, if other compilers ARE
>> needed (older Apache must have VC6), then that double to 2,724. Oh. I
>> forgot x64, so 5,448 builds.
>
> What do you mean "older Apache must have VC6"? When did they change
> that, and where is the info to be found?
> I've been waiting for an official notice from Apache that they have
> changed the version, so that I can put PHP 5.3 on my dev box. As it is,
> I see no mention on the site to say what the binaries are built with,
> only that VC6 or later is required to compile yourself.

Nothing has changed, only how the windows builds of PHP are now
'managed' ... http://windows.php.net/download/ left hand column.

Anything that is included now in a PHP windows build has to have been
built with the same version of VC, so many third party extensions are no
longer available to windows users. This purely relates to php, and while
the basic reason behind it does have a little sense, nothing has changed
between PHP5.2 and PHP5.3 that would actually prevent properly
configured import libraries using dissimilar versions of VC from being
used - it is only the php windows build team that have decided that this
is not allowed, and that all new windows builds require everything that
php links to is build using VC9.

Third party builds of both Apache and PHP are available for x64 versions
of windows for example and these do not follow the same over zealous
restrictions ....

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
From: Niel Archer on
> Niel Archer wrote:
> >> Now that VC9 is the official MS compiler version, you still have TS vs
> >> NTS. You also need HEAD/PHP53/PHP52. So for the current 227 extensions
> >> in pecl, that results in a 1,362 builds. Now, if other compilers ARE
> >> needed (older Apache must have VC6), then that double to 2,724. Oh. I
> >> forgot x64, so 5,448 builds.
> >
> > What do you mean "older Apache must have VC6"? When did they change
> > that, and where is the info to be found?
> > I've been waiting for an official notice from Apache that they have
> > changed the version, so that I can put PHP 5.3 on my dev box. As it is,
> > I see no mention on the site to say what the binaries are built with,
> > only that VC6 or later is required to compile yourself.
>
> Nothing has changed, only how the windows builds of PHP are now
> 'managed' ... http://windows.php.net/download/ left hand column.
>
> Anything that is included now in a PHP windows build has to have been
> built with the same version of VC, so many third party extensions are no
> longer available to windows users. This purely relates to php, and while
> the basic reason behind it does have a little sense, nothing has changed
> between PHP5.2 and PHP5.3 that would actually prevent properly
> configured import libraries using dissimilar versions of VC from being
> used - it is only the php windows build team that have decided that this
> is not allowed, and that all new windows builds require everything that
> php links to is build using VC9.

Yeah, I knew all that from following win-internals, and it's why I've
been waiting for an announcement from Apache.
The OP implies that newer versions of Apache use VC9 (well, that they
do not need VC6).

> Third party builds of both Apache and PHP are available for x64 versions
> of windows for example and these do not follow the same over zealous
> restrictions ....

I'm also aware of these. As much as I would like a 64 bit version of
Apache and PHP 5.3 on my Win2K3 server, I will have to live with the 32
bit versions until 64 bit versions are officially available. I have to
be conservative for my servers and use official builds as I do not have
the time, or know how, to do it myself.

> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL

Niel Archer