From: Sean Conolly on
"mkm" <mkmsound(a)rcn.com> wrote in message
>5 piece local cover band
> At smaller places where we provide PA, bass player (me) runs sound from
> stage. Right now only outboard unit is reverb on lead singer. Audience
> last night thought it sounded good. Not experienced on eq, compressor,
> gates, etc.
>
> Current equipment A&H Mixwiz3 to 2 QSC Ksubs and 2 QSC K12s, Yamaha
> SPX990.
>
> Im thinking about the Presonus studio live. Band feels we cant afford to
> pay sound engineer at the smaller places we provide PA. The Studio Live
> saves scenes and has presets for various instruments and vocals using
> internal gates, compressors, limiters etc.
>
> With the Studio Live we could pay sound engineer to set up and save the
> scene for future use. We play some smaller places where we have a band
> open for us. (I know, a $300 gig with an opening act, but it happens where
> we play and the opener plays for free 1 set for the exposure but we did
> this and were hired as the paid main band at every place we opened for
> free.)
>
> With the Studio Live we could let the opener mix themselves and be able to
> easily reset to our scene. The firewire recording output is a plus but not
> essential. ( I have an HD24)
>
> Any thoughts on the Presonus Studio Live vs the A&H Mixwiz3 for
> reliability, ease of use,etc would be appreciated.
>
> Any sound engineers in the Shrewsbury/York PA area?

There's no difference between having gates, comps, para EQ as outboard
analog or builtin digital - if you don't really know how to use the things
in the first place. At some point you either have to start using a sound man
or acquire that level of knowledge yourself.

Is the Presonus a good board? Yes, and I would like to have one myself,
except I'd never want to take it out to a club every week. The Yamaha O1V
mentioned in another thread is another fine board that would fit your needs,
but I've seen them go for as little as $500 used. I don't know about your
gigs, but I don't get paid more for using expensive gear.

Sean

From: Arny Krueger on
"Krooburg Science" <krooburg(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 6, 4:13 am, "Arny Krueger" <ar...(a)hotpop.com>
> wrote:
>> "Rupert" <foodste...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> A digital mixer is inherently never as simple to use as
>>> an analog board.
>>
>> *Never* is a big word and thoughtful people are very
>> careful about using it.

<snip unecessary rudeness>

>> Digital boards are far simpler than analog boards to use
>> if they have been set up for an event, and all you have
>> to do is call that preset up, in order to run the event.
>> In portable applications, you have to be very consistent
>> with your channel assignments and cabling to obtain this
>> benefit.

> You completely NEGLECTED the complexity it takes to get
> to this point.

You seem to be unclear about the meaning of the word "always". Allways
includes *after* any possible familiarization period.

> A novice will NOT be able to just walk up
> to a desk that complex, be able to turn it on and dial up
> a mix nearly as easily as they can a regular analog desk.

Digital consoles come with a default configuration that gives you the
equivalent of an medium-sized analog console.

>> For example we do a weekly event that is vastly
>> different from our main event. There's a saved scene for
>> it that some high school kids call up, and run all by
>> themselves. I also have no concerns about the kids
>> trashing the settings for my main event while they are
>> doing theirs.

> And what about when something comes up that isn't covered
> in the presets ARNIE.

You seem to be unclear about the meaning of the word "always". Allways
includes *after* any possible familiarization period.

Please reply again after you refresh your memory about what *always* means.

From: Arny Krueger on
"Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
> "Krooburg Science" <krooburg(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>> The Presonus is far inferior functionally compared to
>> the 01V96. It is also far more complex to operate.

> I have to dispute that point, having used both boards.

I guess you have never had the need for expansion cards and therefore things
that the Presonus is missing like input and output routing?

Routing is great even without expansion cards, because it is like having a
built-in patch panel.

> The Presonus is easier to figure out, and the class A
> preamps sound damn good to my ears. The only reason I'd
> buy the Yamaha over the Presonus is price - I can pick up
> a used Yamaha at half the price of the Presonus.

I suspect that you had to learn the 01V first. Many people who have used
several different digital consoles have reported that once you get the basic
hang of digital consoles, they become easier to learn. That is certainly my
experience.

Thus, it is no surprise that the Presonus was easier for you to figure out,
since it probably wasn't your first date with a digital console.

I have no doubts that the Presonus sounds good. So, IME do the current crop
of yammy digitals.

From: mkm on
On 6/6/2010 7:13 AM, Arny Krueger wrote:

> The obvious competition for the Studiolive is the 01V96. If it was me
> spending my money, I'd go Yamaha. When comparing the two, I see the
> StudioLive as being dumbed down, and not necessarily all that simplified.
>
> Even though the 01V96 is a far older design, it seems to have a signficant
> number of advanced features that the SudioLive is missing. It also seems to
> be far more expandible. I don't see any explansion slots on the StudioLive.
> I've used up half the slots on my Yammie and I have plans for the rest. One
> biggie that seems to be missing from the StudioLive is input and output
> patching.

Thanks Arny.
I am looking for a little dumbed down but an upgrade to the MixWiz. The
firewire ports do allow daisy chaining another Studio Live. Studio Live
has 16 mic inputs vs 12 although I dont know that would make much
difference for my band.

This is mainly for my band, same instruments, same mics, same players, a
lot of same places. Seems like it would be easy for an opener act to
make their own mix and easy for us to get back to our settings. Select
channel and all settings for that channel available without additional
layers.

01V says eight auxs but I dont see 8 outs (4 omnis??) StudioLive has 6
aux outs on TRS and 4 sub outs. Also Studio has 16 direct outs although
on a DB25 plus firewire recording.ADAT optical would be nice but it
appears the Yammie would reyuire another card (more$) for 16 channels.

I am already doubling the cost of my MixWiz. Yammie would be almost
another 50%. Maybe worth the additional money for a pro sound engineer
or company but for my stated purpose and sound tech skills (minimal) why
would the 01v96 be better?

My MixWiz is only about 4 months old, used 4 for gigs (house sound
provided at our larger venues).Wish I had seen the Presonus before I
bought MixWiz and dont want to make another mistake. House sound the the
Village in Lancaster PA had the Presonus and it sounded pretty good.

Thanks again for your input

Mike

From: Sean Conolly on
"Arny Krueger" <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote in message
> "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
>> "Krooburg Science" <krooburg(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>> The Presonus is far inferior functionally compared to
>>> the 01V96. It is also far more complex to operate.
>
>> I have to dispute that point, having used both boards.
>
> I guess you have never had the need for expansion cards and therefore
> things that the Presonus is missing like input and output routing?
>
> Routing is great even without expansion cards, because it is like having a
> built-in patch panel.

As a matter of fact, no I have never needed to do anything with an expansion
slot. Most of my experience is live sound in commercial venues where you're
lucky to have two hours to load in and setup, and there haven't been many
times where 16 channels and two monitor mixes were enough to do the job.

Sean

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Inside Mount Lu amazing project