From: mkm on
On 6/6/2010 12:42 PM, Sean Conolly wrote:

> There's no difference between having gates, comps, para EQ as outboard
> analog or builtin digital - if you don't really know how to use the things
> in the first place. At some point you either have to start using a sound man
> or acquire that level of knowledge yourself.
>
> Is the Presonus a good board? Yes, and I would like to have one myself,
> except I'd never want to take it out to a club every week. The Yamaha O1V
> mentioned in another thread is another fine board that would fit your needs,
> but I've seen them go for as little as $500 used. I don't know about your
> gigs, but I don't get paid more for using expensive gear.
>
> Sean

Thanks Sean,

I prefer new gear. I already have the MixWiz with no gates, comp,
limiters. I would like to have a soundman but I would also have to buy
the gates,etc.

Why would you not want to take it to a club every week?

Thanks

Mike

From: Sean Conolly on
"Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote in message
>> "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
>>> "Krooburg Science" <krooburg(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I have to dispute that point, having used both boards.
>>
>> I guess you have never had the need for expansion cards and therefore
>> things that the Presonus is missing like input and output routing?
>>
>> Routing is great even without expansion cards, because it is like having
>> a built-in patch panel.
>
> As a matter of fact, no I have never needed to do anything with an
> expansion slot. Most of my experience is live sound in commercial venues
> where you're lucky to have two hours to load in and setup, and there
> haven't been many times where 16 channels and two monitor mixes were
> enough to do the job.

Eh, that was supposed to be 'weren't enough'.

From: Steve M on
"mkm" wrote:
> Thanks Arny.

Do not make the mistake of listening to Arny. He is a fraud, with
little real experience in live sound. I would suggest you simply stick
with your Mixwiz. Adding gates, comps, etc will only bog you down
and make what should be quite simple too complex for your
needs.

> House sound the the Village in Lancaster PA had the Presonus and it
> sounded pretty good.

If you are dead set on upgrading to a digital board and want to pay
a true experienced live sound professional to get you rolling with the
thing, I might be able to hook you up with my brother, who is working
in Lancaster full time. He works at the American Music Theater as
chief sound tech. If you have seen any shows there this Spring then
you have heard his work. He began working there in mid April.

--
Steve McQ

From: Krooburg Science on
On Jun 6, 9:01 am, "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly...(a)yaaho.com> wrote:
> "Krooburg Science" <kroob...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > The Presonus is far inferior functionally compared to the 01V96. It is
> > also far more complex to operate.
>
> I have to dispute that point, having used both boards. The Presonus is
> easier to figure out, and the class A preamps sound damn good to my ears.
> The only reason I'd buy the Yamaha over the Presonus is price - I can pick
> up a used Yamaha at half the price of the Presonus.
>
> Just my opinion,
> Sean

Sean, you are absolutely correct and I should have proofread closer.
The 01V96 is far more complex, the Presonus is quite the opposite.
Many layers of menus and endless routing capabilities.

K.
From: mkm on
On 6/6/2010 3:13 PM, Sean Conolly wrote:
> "Sean Conolly"<sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message

>> As a matter of fact, no I have never needed to do anything with an
>> expansion slot. Most of my experience is live sound in commercial venues
>> where you're lucky to have two hours to load in and setup, and there
>> haven't been many times where 16 channels and two monitor mixes were
>> enough to do the job.
>
> Eh, that was supposed to be 'weren't enough'.

Last weeks gig we had to wait until after the dinner hour for staff to
move tables, load in thru the front door with customers outside smoking
and in the hallway waiting for tables. It was a sports bar and we were
told not to start until one second after the Flyers game ended.

16 channels is enough and we are still aiming for a 2nd monitor mix only
so the guitarists on opposite sides can hear each other.

Steve McQ said:
> I would suggest you simply stick
> with your Mixwiz. Adding gates, comps, etc will only bog you down
> and make what should be quite simple too complex for your
> needs.
> .
>> >
> If you are dead set on upgrading to a digital board and want to pay
> a true experienced live sound professional to get you rolling with the
> thing, I might be able to hook you up with my brother, who is working
> in Lancaster full time. He works at the American Music Theater as
> chief sound tech. If you have seen any shows there this Spring then
> you have heard his work. He began working there in mid April.
>
> --
> Steve McQ

I thought that this board would make set up easier by allowing me to
return all settings to a selected scene. Faders are not motorized but
there is a procedure for easily setting them to the stored position.

Also there are presets that can be seleted for each channel with
comp,gate, lim,eq settings designed for specific instruments.(see page
137 of the online manual)

Thanks for the possible offer of your brother. I will keep you in mind.

Right now, it looks like everyone has saved me some money and the pain
of selling the MixWiz. It looks like only one digital vote but for a
more expensive board.( I still prefer new, dont want possibly someone
elses problem and I tend to keep my gear a long time.)

Is there anyone on the Presonus side who has not posted yet??

Thanks to everyone.

Mike

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4