From: lesio on
system is maybe 4-5 years old - last time they made P4 3.0 GHz (not 2.8)
I double checked BIOS for floppy -
floppy was shown in BIOS but not as a boot device - I've marked it "off" and
now system does not look for it
I also changed my boot sequence to 1 HD, 2 CD-ROM so my system goes straight
to primary HD (I just did not know what else to do)
anyway, PC behaves normally (so far)
I've heard from other source about CMOS battery possibility - I will test it
if you do not hear from it means that the system got stable
thanks for all input :)
lb

From: lesio on
what do you think about Hirens BootCD?
friend recommended; I ran some HD test - nothing negative came back
is it reliable tool?
my system is still stable

From: sgopus on
CMOS Battery has nothing to do with the drive hardware ie seek failure, the
battery only keeps the settings on CMOS and date current, default CMOS
settings will still fine the drive just fine. different drives fail at a
varied rate, at the age of your system, I would suspect your drive is getting
ready to fail, a general saying, (it's not if it will fail, but when!) being
prepared is being forearmed, having backups and new drive ready is better
than being caught without backups and a dead drive you can't get your data
from.

It's your call!