From: lesio on
hi,
when I power up my pc I am getting this message
"diskette drive 0 seek failure.
primary drive 1 not found
strike F1 key to continue...."

I have win xp home ed. with one hd - 160 gb; P4 2.8 GHz; Dell
when I strike F1 my system starts normally
what's wrong? and how serious it is?

PS. recently my system restarted itself few times during powering up -
before F1 message showed up
two problems are connected?

please educate me, thnx

--
lb

From: sgopus on
At first thought, I would look if you have set your floppy as the first boot
device, if this is not the case, then I suggest you replace your HD ASAP, as
it appears it's getting ready to fail, seek errors usually mean, drive head
is failing or dirty, and there is no way to clean it, just replace it, I
strongly urge you to make a drive clone of your primary drive before you
insert the new one in place, it will save lots of problems later. one
suggestion for software is Acronis True Image, get the latest version.

From: lesio on
floppy is not installed at all and mentioned in the BIOS as a boot device
(?!?)
thanks for the heads up with the HD
I've made already copies on my other HD

From: philo on
lesio wrote:
> floppy is not installed at all and mentioned in the BIOS as a boot device
> (?!?)
> thanks for the heads up with the HD
> I've made already copies on my other HD
>
> "sgopus" <sgopus(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> At first thought, I would look if you have set your floppy as the first
>> boot
>> device, if this is not the case, then I suggest you replace your HD ASAP,
>> as
>> it appears it's getting ready to fail, seek errors usually mean, drive
>> head
>> is failing or dirty, and there is no way to clean it, just replace it, I
>> strongly urge you to make a drive clone of your primary drive before you
>> insert the new one in place, it will save lots of problems later. one
>> suggestion for software is Acronis True Image, get the latest version.
>>
>> "lesio" wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>> when I power up my pc I am getting this message
>>> "diskette drive 0 seek failure.
>>> primary drive 1 not found
>>> strike F1 key to continue...."
>>>
>>> I have win xp home ed. with one hd - 160 gb; P4 2.8 GHz; Dell
>>> when I strike F1 my system starts normally
>>> what's wrong? and how serious it is?
>>>
>>> PS. recently my system restarted itself few times during powering up -
>>> before F1 message showed up
>>> two problems are connected?
>>>
>>> please educate me, thnx
>>>
>>> --
>>> lb
>>>

>>> .

Looks like you need a new cmos battery
as your bios settings are apparently not being held
From: sgopus on
Your sentence is confusing, are you saying the floppy is mentioned as the
boot device? or it's not mentioned?

in either case your other issue might be related, if the hd can't be found
to write temp files or save data, windows might reboot on it's own, how old
is your system?