From: boy on
Hi,

I am running AVG antivirus. I also have Windows Defender with real-
time protection.

Do I need to disable WD's real-time protection to prevent the
conflict ....?

Is it a rule that only one product should provide the real-time
protection....?

Thanks.
From: Shenan Stanley on
boy wrote:
> I am running AVG antivirus. I also have Windows Defender with real-
> time protection.
>
> Do I need to disable WD's real-time protection to prevent the
> conflict ....?
>
> Is it a rule that only one product should provide the real-time
> protection....?

Protection against?

Viruses (Virus, Trojans, Worms...)
Spyware/Adware...

My suggestion...

Avira AntiVir (free) or eSet NOD32 (AV only, not free)
plus
MalwareBytes (consistent scanning, removal; free) or MalwareBytes (active
protection, not free)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Bruce Chambers on
boy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running AVG antivirus. I also have Windows Defender with real-
> time protection.
>
> Do I need to disable WD's real-time protection to prevent the
> conflict ....?

How could they (AVG and WD) possibly "conflict?" They're two
completely different applications, serving two different and completely
separate functions. AVG is an anti-virus application and Windows
Defender is an anti-adware/anti-spyware application. They don't
overlap, at all. And you do need both types of protection. (By the
way, WD isn't particularly great at its stated purpose; you should
consider replacing it with a better product, such as Spybot Search &
Destroy or MalwareBytes.

> Is it a rule that only one product should provide the real-time
> protection....?

That's generally true if you're using two of the same type product, but
that doesn't apply to the situation you've described.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: smlunatick on
On Mar 23, 8:17 pm, boy <boybo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running AVG antivirus. I also have Windows Defender with real-
> time protection.
>
> Do I need to disable WD's real-time protection to prevent the
> conflict ....?
>
> Is it a rule that only one product should provide the real-time
> protection....?
>
> Thanks.

Windows Defender is a spyware protection system. Most anti-virus now
tends to turn it off. Are you sure it is active?
From: Twayne on
In news:%23Y0oudsyKHA.3264(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Shenan Stanley <newshelper(a)gmail.com> typed:
> boy wrote:
>> I am running AVG antivirus. I also have Windows Defender
>> with real- time protection.
>>
>> Do I need to disable WD's real-time protection to prevent
>> the conflict ....?
>>
>> Is it a rule that only one product should provide the
>> real-time protection....?
>
> Protection against?
>
> Viruses (Virus, Trojans, Worms...)
> Spyware/Adware...
>
> My suggestion...
>
> Avira AntiVir (free) or eSet NOD32 (AV only, not free)
> plus
> MalwareBytes (consistent scanning, removal; free) or
> MalwareBytes (active protection, not free)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Too lazy to answer the OP's question or what?

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: hi
Next: primary drive 1 not found