From: Cor Nouws on
Hi Mike,

Mike Scott wrote (30-07-10 19:50)
> This is with ubuntu 10.04, OOo 3.2 (from the ubuntu repository)
>
> I've found that the print dialogue offers extremely limited options
> compared to other applications.

You are probably looking at the dialog that the printer driver offers?

> In particular, it offers no way to select the paper tray (this option is
> grayed out for some reason) and no way to select toner economy mode. But
> most other options seem to be absent too. Seems a bit of an irritating
> omission when the windows version offers all you need (and more :-) ).

Same with me for the Epson Lacer when I compare Ubuntu and XP..

Regards,
Cor
--
>> Your office 2010 software: the new OpenOffice.org <<

Cor Nouws
- ideas/remarks for the community council?
- http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Regina Henschel on
Mike Scott schrieb:
> This is with ubuntu 10.04, OOo 3.2 (from the ubuntu repository)
>
> I've found that the print dialogue offers extremely limited options
> compared to other applications.
>
> In particular, it offers no way to select the paper tray (this option is
> grayed out for some reason) and no way to select toner economy mode. But
> most other options seem to be absent too. Seems a bit of an irritating
> omission when the windows version offers all you need (and more :-) ).
>
> Is this standard linux behaviour for OOo, or have the ubuntu folks
> altered it?
>
> Thoughts anyone??

There will be an new printer dialog in the upcoming version 3.3, please
try it. http://download.openoffice.org/next/

Kind regards
Regina

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: NoOp on
On 07/30/2010 10:50 AM, Mike Scott wrote:
> This is with ubuntu 10.04, OOo 3.2 (from the ubuntu repository)
>
> I've found that the print dialogue offers extremely limited options
> compared to other applications.
>
> In particular, it offers no way to select the paper tray (this option is
> grayed out for some reason) and no way to select toner economy mode. But
> most other options seem to be absent too. Seems a bit of an irritating
> omission when the windows version offers all you need (and more :-) ).
>
> Is this standard linux behaviour for OOo, or have the ubuntu folks
> altered it?

On both Ubuntu (U)OOo 3.2.0, Standard (S)OOo 3.2.1 (linux), and OOo Dev
OOO330m2 (linux):

Clicking the properties button allows me to select, in the Paper tab:
Paper size
Orientation
Duplex
Paper tray

And if I select the Device tab:
Media type
Print Quality
Color Mode
Dithering
Mirror Output
Duplex Adjust
RGB Color Space
CMYK Proof Profile
Color Rendering Intent
Save Ink - Reduce Intensity
Adjust Brightness
Adjust Contrast
zedoAdjustY
Limit Yellow Ink
Limit Cyan Ink
Limit Black Ink
Reference Light
Grey Tone A Yellow-Blue
Grey Tone B Green-Red
Color Intensity
UCR Black usage
Max. Total ink coverage
Photo-Cyan Usage
Photo-Magenta Usage
Duplex Mode
Borderless Expand
Printer Driver

And then I can select PostScript Level
Color
Color depth

The above is for an Canon MP750 w/Turboprint driver.

I suggest that it's your printer driver that's limiting your choices,
not OOo.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Mike Scott on
On 01/08/2010 02:55, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/30/2010 10:50 AM, Mike Scott wrote:
>> This is with ubuntu 10.04, OOo 3.2 (from the ubuntu repository)
>>
>> I've found that the print dialogue offers extremely limited options
>> compared to other applications.
>>
>> In particular, it offers no way to select the paper tray (this option is
>> grayed out for some reason) and no way to select toner economy mode. But
>> most other options seem to be absent too. Seems a bit of an irritating
>> omission when the windows version offers all you need (and more :-) ).
>>
>> Is this standard linux behaviour for OOo, or have the ubuntu folks
>> altered it?
>
> On both Ubuntu (U)OOo 3.2.0, Standard (S)OOo 3.2.1 (linux), and OOo Dev
> OOO330m2 (linux):
>
> Clicking the properties button allows me to select, in the Paper tab:
> Paper size
> Orientation
> Duplex
> Paper tray
>
> And if I select the Device tab:
> Media type
> Print Quality
> Color Mode
> Dithering
> Mirror Output
> Duplex Adjust
> RGB Color Space
> CMYK Proof Profile
> Color Rendering Intent
> Save Ink - Reduce Intensity
> Adjust Brightness
> Adjust Contrast
> zedoAdjustY
> Limit Yellow Ink
> Limit Cyan Ink
> Limit Black Ink
> Reference Light
> Grey Tone A Yellow-Blue
> Grey Tone B Green-Red
> Color Intensity
> UCR Black usage
> Max. Total ink coverage
> Photo-Cyan Usage
> Photo-Magenta Usage
> Duplex Mode
> Borderless Expand
> Printer Driver
>
> And then I can select PostScript Level
> Color
> Color depth
>
> The above is for an Canon MP750 w/Turboprint driver.
>
> I suggest that it's your printer driver that's limiting your choices,
> not OOo.

Thanks for the info. But other applications do seem to offer the whole
gamut of options. No problem, for example, with gedit or gimp, just with
OOo.

I'll try 3.3 when I get back in a few days and see if that makes a
difference.

--
Mike Scott

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: NoOp on
On 07/31/2010 11:40 PM, Mike Scott wrote:
> On 01/08/2010 02:55, NoOp wrote:
>> On 07/30/2010 10:50 AM, Mike Scott wrote:
>>> This is with ubuntu 10.04, OOo 3.2 (from the ubuntu repository)
>>>
>>> I've found that the print dialogue offers extremely limited options
>>> compared to other applications.
>>>
>>> In particular, it offers no way to select the paper tray (this option is
>>> grayed out for some reason) and no way to select toner economy mode. But
>>> most other options seem to be absent too. Seems a bit of an irritating
>>> omission when the windows version offers all you need (and more :-) ).
>>>
>>> Is this standard linux behaviour for OOo, or have the ubuntu folks
>>> altered it?
>>
>> On both Ubuntu (U)OOo 3.2.0, Standard (S)OOo 3.2.1 (linux), and OOo Dev
>> OOO330m2 (linux):
>> The above is for an Canon MP750 w/Turboprint driver.
>>
>> I suggest that it's your printer driver that's limiting your choices,
>> not OOo.
>
> Thanks for the info. But other applications do seem to offer the whole
> gamut of options. No problem, for example, with gedit or gimp, just with
> OOo.

Don't know what to suggest then, sorry.

> I'll try 3.3 when I get back in a few days and see if that makes a
> difference.

I suspect that you'll have the same issues. 3.3 provides a similar
experience (for me); seems to have a few modifications to the Print UI
look & feel, but overall doesn't seem to be all that different (again,
for me).

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org