From: hjmler on
I'm looking for a color printer that can handle very heavy linen and cotton
stock in sheets as large as 13x19 inches...
I see canon's pixima 9000 will take 1 to 1 1/2 mm but I don't know if it has
a straight-through path or if it could be modified to handle thicker and
heavier stock ....

any thoughts would be most welcome...

From: Ato_Zee on

> I'm looking for a color printer that can handle very heavy linen and
> cotton
> stock in sheets as large as 13x19 inches...
> I see canon's pixima 9000 will take 1 to 1 1/2 mm but I don't know if it
> has
> a straight-through path or if it could be modified to handle thicker and
> heavier stock ....
>
> any thoughts would be most welcome...

I'd be thinking transfer sheets that are used to make t-shirts.
With ink based printers wicking through the fibres is a likely
problem, a dry or nearly dry process is best, silk screening is
the usual way.
From: hjmler on

"Ato_Zee" <ato_zee(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I'm looking for a color printer that can handle very heavy linen and
> > cotton > > stock in sheets as large as 13x19 inches...
> > I see canon's pixima 9000 will take 1 to 1 1/2 mm but I don't know if it
> > has > > a straight-through path or if it could be modified to handle
thicker and
> > heavier stock ....
> >
> > any thoughts would be most welcome...
>
> I'd be thinking transfer sheets that are used to make t-shirts.
> With ink based printers wicking through the fibres is a likely
> problem, a dry or nearly dry process is best, silk screening is
> the usual way.

the stock is an actual paper but made from linen and cotton... the idea of
transfer sheets I hadn't thought of though and I'll have to look into that
as well, but I'm still hoping to find a printer that would handle such heavy
paper ...

From: Fred McKenzie on
In article <0kquk.1640$676.1192(a)newsfe01.iad>,
"hjmler" <hjmlerREMOVETHIS(a)charter.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for a color printer that can handle very heavy linen and cotton
> stock in sheets as large as 13x19 inches...

Hjmler-

Another possibility is to use a plotter. Other than the transfer
approach, I can't think of any other way to handle such thick paper.

Fred
From: hjmler on

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop(a)nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> In article <0kquk.1640$676.1192(a)newsfe01.iad>,
> "hjmler" <hjmlerREMOVETHIS(a)charter.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a color printer that can handle very heavy linen and
cotton
> > stock in sheets as large as 13x19 inches...
> > I see canon's pixima 9000 will take 1 to 1 1/2 mm but I don't know if it
has
> > a straight-through path or if it could be modified to handle thicker and
> > heavier stock ....
> >
> > any thoughts would be most welcome...
>
> Do you have any idea how thick 1/4 inch is?
>
> I think you're quite mistaken about even the 1/8 inch part.
>
> Find a commercial printer who has a Xerox iGen3, preferably with
> Acoustic Transfer Assist (ATA) for linen and other rough stocks. It'll
> handle your request without any problem whatsoever.

elmo -- i actually got out the calipers and measured the thickness - the
linen is 1/8 and the cotten is just shy of 1/4 ... this is stuff artists use
to paint on in place of stretched canvas on a frame.... the xerox might be a
task to try to track down but i'm thinking there's got to be one or 3 around
the minneapolis-st paul area, closest metro to me ... but not going near
there while the clown show is in swing ...

fred -- interesting thought on the plotter ... i'll have to track someone
down who's got one nearby