From: rRB on
Darren Salt wrote:
>> Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13 (using .../
>> libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb) ...
>> WARNING: POSIX threads library NPTL requires kernel version
>> 2.6.8 or later. If you use a kernel 2.4, please upgrade it
>> before installing glibc.
> [snip]
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
>> i added etch sources and tried to switch to a new kernel, but again it
>> says i have to solve my unmet dependencies....
>
> Given the presence of libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13 (or 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2, which is what
> you should have if you're running etch), it's safe to upgrade your kernel to
> 2.6.18 and to use that.
>
> Does your boot loader (lilo? grub?) know about the newer kernel?

I think yes, usually on debian a new kernel will be added as first in the grub
boot list.

I also wanted do *force* installation of the newer libc6, but as for now no way,
cause it bombs out in one of the preinst or prerm scripts.

Is there a way to install ignoring this pre* scripts?

--
Faciait li signeur!

Roy Batty
http://www.biolabnet.it/
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that rRB may or may not have written...

> Darren Salt wrote:
>>> Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13 (using .../
>>> libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb) ...
>>> WARNING: POSIX threads library NPTL requires kernel version
>>> 2.6.8 or later. If you use a kernel 2.4, please upgrade it
>>> before installing glibc.
>> [snip]
>>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

>>> i added etch sources and tried to switch to a new kernel, but again it
>>> says i have to solve my unmet dependencies....

>> Given the presence of libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13 (or 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2, which is
>> what you should have if you're running etch), it's safe to upgrade your
>> kernel to 2.6.18 and to use that.

>> Does your boot loader (lilo? grub?) know about the newer kernel?

> I think yes, usually on debian a new kernel will be added as first in the
> grub boot list.

Just checking... :-)

> I also wanted do *force* installation of the newer libc6, but as for now no
> way, cause it bombs out in one of the preinst or prerm scripts.

This still looks like "install a newer kernel; reboot, selecting the
newly-installed kernel; upgrade libc6" to me.

> Is there a way to install ignoring this pre* scripts?

Ignoring the preinst script is a bad idea.

You *really* want to make sure that you're using the newer kernel ("uname -r"
will report the version number) and to try to complete the installation
normally.

If you still have problems, you can try this (but if it breaks, you get to
keep both pieces):

Edit /var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.preinst: look for
exit_check () {

exit 1
}

and remove (or comment out) that "exit 1". Then either "dpkg --configure -a"
or "aptitude install" should work.

| + Buy less and make it last longer. INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

You hate mail.
From: rRB on
Darren Salt wrote:
>> I think yes, usually on debian a new kernel will be added as first in the
>> grub boot list.
>
> Just checking... :-)
>
>> I also wanted do *force* installation of the newer libc6, but as for now no
>> way, cause it bombs out in one of the preinst or prerm scripts.
>
> This still looks like "install a newer kernel; reboot, selecting the
> newly-installed kernel; upgrade libc6" to me.
>
>> Is there a way to install ignoring this pre* scripts?
>
> Ignoring the preinst script is a bad idea.

I know, but at this point i have 3 choices: 1)leave everything as it is;
2)format+reinstall ('a la win$) 3)try the following....

> You *really* want to make sure that you're using the newer kernel ("uname -r"
> will report the version number) and to try to complete the installation
> normally.
>
> If you still have problems, you can try this (but if it breaks, you get to
> keep both pieces):
>
> Edit /var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.preinst: look for
> exit_check () {
>
> exit 1
> }
>
> and remove (or comment out) that "exit 1". Then either "dpkg --configure -a"
> or "aptitude install" should work.

This was exactly what i was thinking (to be honest i was searching for a dpkg
switch that allws to install whitout running preinst, but it does'nt exist)

I guess i have to extract with cpio or tar, what do you think?
(i cannot extract with dpkg --unpack because it runs preinst, too, and it exits).

thanks so far

--
Faciait li signeur!

Roy Batty