From: Darren Salt on
I demand that RRB may or may not have written...

> # aptitude upgrade
[snip]
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb (--unpack):
> subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb
> A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

> If i do as suggested:

> # apt-get install -t etch linux-image-2.6
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Package linux-image-2.6 is a virtual package provided by:
> linux-image-2.6.22-2-vserver-k7 2.6.22-4
[snip other packages]

Those are from testing, not from stable.

> But:

> a) i really don't want to change my kernel until it's strictly necessary, i
> simply want to be up-to-date, and obviously it includes updating libc

It'll be necessary sooner or later. It may already be a Very Good Idea due to
security fixes.

[snip]
> My sources.list:
> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
> deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> deb-src http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ testing main

That's not etch. That's lenny.

> Kernel: 2.6.7-1-386

Definitely worth a kernel upgrade, I'd say...

| + Generate power using sun, wind, water, nuclear. FORGET COAL AND OIL.

I never did it that way before.
From: RRB on
Darren Salt wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer;
>> a) i really don't want to change my kernel until it's strictly necessary, i
>> simply want to be up-to-date, and obviously it includes updating libc
>
> It'll be necessary sooner or later. It may already be a Very Good Idea due to
> security fixes.

Ok i did it this morning (i have an AMD so i choose the last k7 kernel from
testing- hope it is ok) but as usual, i went in a deadlock:

> [snip]
>> My sources.list:
>> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
>> deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>> deb-src http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>
> That's not etch. That's lenny.
>
>> Kernel: 2.6.7-1-386
>
> Definitely worth a kernel upgrade, I'd say...

# aptitude install linux-image-2.6.22-2-k7
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
busybox initramfs-tools klibc-utils libc6-i686 libklibc libvolume-id0 udev
*lot-of-packages-listed*
busybox initramfs-tools klibc-utils libc6-i686 libklibc libvolume-id0
linux-image-2.6.22-2-k7 udev
libc6
1 packages upgraded, 8 newly installed, 0 to remove and 912 not upgraded.
Need to get 20.2MB/24.9MB of archives. After unpacking 58.7MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
Writing extended state information... Done
Get:1 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main libc6-i686 2.6.1-1+b1 [1201kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main busybox 1:1.1.3-5 [287kB]

Get:3 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main libklibc 1.5-4 [43.3kB]

Get:4 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main klibc-utils 1.5-4 [161kB]

Get:5 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main initramfs-tools 0.90a [68.2kB]

Get:6 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main linux-image-2.6.22-2-k7 2.6.22-4
[18.4MB]
Fetched 20.2MB in 1m20s (251kB/s)

Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 147804 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6 2.5-9+b1 (using .../libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb) ...
WARNING: POSIX threads library NPTL requires kernel version
2.6.8 or later. If you use a kernel 2.4, please upgrade it
before installing glibc.

The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
please add etch sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
apt-get install -t etch linux-image-2.6
Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb (--unpack):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

I *am* trying to install a new kernel, why the hell they insert such weird code
that asks to install a new kernel, when if you try you don't go nowhere, it ends
in the same error (some time ago i tryed to do EXACTLY how it is suggested in
the message but the result was the same as now).. ?

No way to get out of this situation?

--
Faciait li signeur!

Roy Batty
http://www.biolabnet.it/
From: bacher on
Hi,

> No way to get out of this situation?

i hit the same problem with my debian box. i try to install the new
kernel headers and it reports undone dependencies that should be
solved via apt-get install -f.
running this command results in a message that says:
Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13 (using .../
libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb) ...
WARNING: POSIX threads library NPTL requires kernel version
2.6.8 or later. If you use a kernel 2.4, please upgrade it
before installing glibc.

The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
please add etch sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
apt-get install -t etch linux-image-2.6
Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/
libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb (--unpack):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb

i added etch sources and tried to switch to a new kernel, but again it
says i have to solve my unmet dependencies....

strange is'nt it?
From: rRB on
bacher(a)bash-it.de wrote:
>> No way to get out of this situation?
>
> i hit the same problem with my debian box. i try to install the new
> kernel headers and it reports undone dependencies that should be
> solved via apt-get install -f.
> running this command results in a message that says:
> Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13 (using .../
> libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb) ...
> WARNING: POSIX threads library NPTL requires kernel version
> 2.6.8 or later. If you use a kernel 2.4, please upgrade it
> before installing glibc.
>
> The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
> first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
> please add etch sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
> apt-get install -t etch linux-image-2.6
> Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/
> libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb (--unpack):
> subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb
>
> i added etch sources and tried to switch to a new kernel, but again it
> says i have to solve my unmet dependencies....
>
> strange is'nt it?

Yes, and more strange i did'nt get any help so far, so i decided to perform a
dpkg -i --force-depend of the new libc6 package and see what happens.... i hope
it will not blow up... :-)

--
Faciait li signeur!

Roy Batty
http://www.biolabnet.it/
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that bacher(a)bash-it.de may or may not have written...

>> No way to get out of this situation?

> i hit the same problem with my debian box. i try to install the new kernel
> headers and it reports undone dependencies that should be solved via
> apt-get install -f. running this command results in a message that says:

> Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13 (using .../
> libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb) ...
> WARNING: POSIX threads library NPTL requires kernel version
> 2.6.8 or later. If you use a kernel 2.4, please upgrade it
> before installing glibc.
[snip]

> i added etch sources and tried to switch to a new kernel, but again it
> says i have to solve my unmet dependencies....

Given the presence of libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13 (or 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2, which is what
you should have if you're running etch), it's safe to upgrade your kernel to
2.6.18 and to use that.

Does your boot loader (lilo? grub?) know about the newer kernel?

| + Output less CO2 => avoid boiling weather. TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

NetWare does not have bugs, it has "undocumented enhancements".