From: kivenage on

i've recently inherited an SBS 2003 server and the client now wants to
migrate to SBS 2008. i've run the BPA and it's reporting the SBS 2003
SP1 is not installed. windows server 2003 SP2 has long been installed as
well as updates up to this day.

i've tried running the SP1 update, but it errors stating i need to
install kb891193 update first. tried running that but get fatal install
errors. i've considered uninstalling SP2 and then the updates in the
right order before reinstalling SP2. however, the uninstall folder for
SP2 was at some point deleted (presumably to free up space). tried to
reinstall SP2 but add/remove programs does not show SP2 as installed.

i'm at a real loss here, i can't get this migration to happen regardless
which way i turn. do i have any other options available to me at this
point? i've read briefly about swing migration and am assuming that this
is a 'manual' way of migrating without using the wizard. but am hesitant
about going ahead with it as it seems like there'll be no turning back
if something goes (even more) pear shaped.

TIA

--
kivenage
kivenage's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/245871.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
Hi:

SBS SP1 was a multi part update to all sections of the OS, and requires that
the updates be installed in a certain order, and that all sections be installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B6F8A4C0-B707-4161-ADEB-44F1B756119F&displaylang=en

Since that time, Windows SP2 and Exchange SP2 have been released and you
can substitute those for their respective SP1 counterparts.

If you have SBS Premium, you will also need SQL SP4, which is also downloadable.
ISA must be removed from SBS 2003 to migrate to SBS 2008, so that part,
which was never downloadable, is not needed.

Please post back if you have further questions about this update. It is
a necessary step if you are going to sucessfully migrate, but if you have
just a handfull of stations/users I might do a fresh install rather than
the steps for SBS SP1 plus the migration.

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

From: kivenage on

yeah, i've tried pretty much everything i've read and thought of to try
and get the migration started, but no dice.

looks like i'll looking at a brand new install, consolation is that it's
a small setup, about 10 users. are there any MS or other documents
detailing what i'll have to do?

i've already run the migration tool (prepped it for migration) on the
source server and raised the functional levels. hope that's ok

thanks larry for confirming what i'll have to do.

From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
This is pretty straightforward. One choice that makes your life a whole
lot easier is www.sbssmigration.com, but afaik, it will also require that
you be up to SBS SP1 level, plus the SP2s and so on that came later. However
it has the advantage of some tools that make it unnecessry to recreate all
the shares and permissions. If you don't have any/many shares, this is less
of an advantage than it might seem, as SBS creates the user shared documents,
email connections, and such. But if you have a great many shares and customized
permissions, recreating them can be a real PITA.

Barring that, export all the mail to local .pst files, backup all the data,
install the new SBS, back it up, install all the updates, verify you have
a fully functioning SBS 2008, restore all the data, recreate all the shares,
import some test mail, and you are good to go.

When you are satisifed you have a functioning SBS 2008 and have the proceedure
down pat, you can do it all over again and go live. You will need to disjoin
the stations from the old domain and rejoin to the new domain. I would copy
out the users profile first as a precaution, as users really really like
to get their desktop and favorites back, not to mention their my documents
if not redirected at the server level.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

From: kivenage on

thanks for confirming what i've been trying to verify larry. as you can
imagine, searching for sbs2008 info bring up a whole bunch of site
dedicated to the migration wizard. so to confirm the main (critical)
points:

1. i'll have build up a new sbs 2008 server on a different domain.
ensure it's working as a server in and of itself.

2. create new user accounts, new exchange mailboxes, test merging a few
mailboxes from the exported pst files first.

3. copy all data across (either via robocopy or restored from backup).
setup shares and all.

4. move users to the new domain.

once all is ok, i can pretty much shut down the old server?
is it also possible to migrate dns and dhcp settings or am i looking and
building that up from scratch?

thanks so much for your help thus far