From: John Drescher on
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Linda Walsh <samba(a)tlinx.org> wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
>> Also. They can NOT point to the same path. That was the point of
>> having a .v2. Vista+ and XP profiles are not compatible with each
>> other.
> ----
>        What part is incompatible? Or is it known?
> This this is something that I ran into as well, but didn't have
> time to chase down.  But I was disturbed to see my different clients
> now using different profiles when before I could share the same home
> dir.

I believe its mostly caused by changes in the folder structure.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/b/a/3ba6d659-6e39-4cd7-b3a2-9c96482f5353/managing%20roaming%20user%20data%20deployment%20guide.doc

http://4sysops.com/archives/windows-vista-and-windows-xp-roaming-user-profiles-interoperability-folder-redirection-is-the-only-way/

John
Humm

right ok lets see if we can fix it what should happen is that the share
should be connected too and there should be a list of profiles.

Please define share defined as

[nt-profile]
comment = Client Profiles
path = /BUERO/samba/nt-profile
read only = No
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700

this should create a folder and all the profiles should be listed inside
one username and another username.V2

Also what is the profile path assigned to users.

Regards

--
Damien Dye BSC(hon)

Also

please define your profiles path like

logon path = \\%L\nt-profile\%U

Regards

--
Damien Dye BSC(hon)

On 9 April 2010 16:17, Damien Dye <damien.j.dye(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> set log level to 4, inspected all messages but couldn't find any reason why
>> a temp profile.
>>
>> Does someone have a good tip for me for further investigation or a reason?
>>
>> This there a link available "How to setup samba with win 7 clients"?
>>
>> regards robert
>>
>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> > Datum: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 16:37:34 +0100
>> > Von: Damien Dye <damien.j.dye(a)googlemail.com>
>> > An: r.s1(a)gmx.at
>> > CC: samba(a)lists.samba.org
>> > Betreff: Re: [Samba] question difference of roaming profile between
>> WinXP and Win7
>>
>> > Robert
>> >
>> > remove the .V2 share and then remove your profiles from vista/win 7 at
>> > this
>> > reg key
>> >
>> > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Also information about the differences and workarounds using profile
redirection can be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaming_user_profile

--
Damien Dye BSC(hon)

On 9 April 2010 16:20, Damien Dye <damien.j.dye(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> Also
>
> please define your profiles path like
>
> logon path = \\%L\nt-profile\%U
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Damien Dye BSC(hon)
>

> On 9 April 2010 16:17, Damien Dye <damien.j.dye(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Humm
>>
>> right ok lets see if we can fix it what should happen is that the share
>> should be connected too and there should be a list of profiles.
>>
>> Please define share defined as
>>

>> [nt-profile]
>> comment = Client Profiles
>> path = /BUERO/samba/nt-profile
>> read only = No
>> create mask = 0600
>> directory mask = 0700
>>
>> this should create a folder and all the profiles should be listed inside
>> one username and another username.V2
>>
>> Also what is the profile path assigned to users.
>>

>> Regards
>>

>> --
>> Damien Dye BSC(hon)
>>

>> On 9 April 2010 15:58, Rhshshgs Sdasdad <r.s1(a)gmx.at> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> @Damien
>>> I remove nt-profile.v2 and deleted all server profiles in Win7 but I
>>> still was logged on using a temporary profile.
>>> I found a msg in sambalog like: service [nt-profile.v2] not found
>>>
>>> @Linda
>>> I made the same experince. There was never a profile <username>.V2
>>> referenced and used.
>>>
>>> Now I'm fully confused in that topic. I my test environment (1 PDC, 1
>>> WinXP and 1 Win7 virtual machines), I was able to logon with win7 using a
>>> server profile with just <username>. The profile was newly created and empty
>>> and samba had defined a [nt-profile.v2] share.
>>> The same settings don't work in my production environment. I have the
>>> same settings, defined a new user but Win7 is logging on using a temp
>>> profile. I set log level to 4, inspected all messages but couldn't find any
>>> reason why a temp profile.
>>>
>>> Does someone have a good tip for me for further investigation or a
>>> reason?
>>>
>>> This there a link available "How to setup samba with win 7 clients"?
>>>
>>> regards robert
>>>
>>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>>> WinXP and Win7

>>> via
>>> connect
>>> v2

>>> need a

>>> logging

>>> WinXP

>>> Google
>>> about

>>> colour
>>> logged
>>> So
>>> to a

>>> clients?

>>> -
>>> http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser

Hello Damien

That's it.
I changed "logon path" and "logon home" and "path" in [nt-profile] according your answer and now there are the <username>.V2 profiles.
Further I removed [nt-profile.v2] because it wasn't requested anymore.

Thanks, Robert

-------- Original-Nachricht --------