From: John Drescher on
On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM, <r.s1(a)gmx.at> wrote:
> Hello
> I want to add Win7 machine to my Samba PDC with WinXP clients. Google tells me I have to add a .V2 to my profiles. The samba log ask about a .v2 share.
> Can someone explain me the difference of the v2 extension at the profile names and the roaming profile share?
> Following my settings:
>
> smb.conf:
> [global]
>        logon path = \\%L\nt-profile
>        logon home = \\%L\nt-profile
>
> [nt-profile]
>        comment = Client Profiles
>        path = /BUERO/samba/nt-profile/%u
>        read only = No
>        create mask = 0600
>        directory mask = 0700
>
> [nt-profile.v2]
>        comment = Client Profiles
>        path = /BUERO/samba/nt-profile/%u
>        read only = No
>        create mask = 0600
>        directory mask = 0700

Make two shares.

[profiles]

and

[profiles.v2]

At least this is what works for me.

John
On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM,  <r.s1(a)gmx.at> wrote:
>> Hello
>> I want to add Win7 machine to my Samba PDC with WinXP clients. Google tells me I have to add a .V2 to my profiles. The samba log ask about a .v2 share.
>> Can someone explain me the difference of the v2 extension at the profile names and the roaming profile share?
>> Following my settings:
>>
>> smb.conf:
>> [global]
>>        logon path = \\%L\nt-profile
>>        logon home = \\%L\nt-profile
>>
>> [nt-profile]
>>        comment = Client Profiles
>>        path = /BUERO/samba/nt-profile/%u
>>        read only = No
>>        create mask = 0600
>>        directory mask = 0700
>>
>> [nt-profile.v2]
>>        comment = Client Profiles
>>        path = /BUERO/samba/nt-profile/%u
>>        read only = No
>>        create mask = 0600
>>        directory mask = 0700
>>

> Make two shares.
>
> [profiles]
>
> and
>
> [profiles.v2]
>
> At least this is what works for me.

Also. They can NOT point to the same path. That was the point of
having a .v2. Vista+ and XP profiles are not compatible with each
other.

John
Hi,

IMHO both profiles can stay within the same share, so you don't need a separate .v2 share. It's the same with Windows 2003 Server and a mixture of XP/ Vista/Seven Clients.

Cheers,

Christian

Dipl.-Ing. Christian Rost
roCon - Informationstechnologie
Glatzer Weg 4

44534 Lünen

fon: +49 (0) 2306 910 658
fax: +49 (0) 2306 910 664
url: http://www.rocon-it.de

--------r.s1(a)gmx.at wrote--------
Subject: [Samba] question difference of roaming profile between WinXP and Win7
Date: 03.04.2010 17:02

>Hello
>I want to add Win7 machine to my Samba PDC with WinXP clients. Google
>tells me I have to add a .V2 to my profiles. The samba log ask about a .v2
>share.
>Can someone explain me the difference of the v2 extension at the profile
>names and the roaming profile share?
>Following my settings:
>
>smb.conf:
>[global]
> logon path = \\%L\nt-profile
> logon home = \\%L\nt-profile
>
>[nt-profile]
> comment = Client Profiles
> path = /BUERO/samba/nt-profile/%u
> read only = No
> create mask = 0600
> directory mask = 0700
>
>[nt-profile.v2]
> comment = Client Profiles
> path = /BUERO/samba/nt-profile/%u
> read only = No
> create mask = 0600
> directory mask = 0700
>

>ls -l /BUERO/samba/nt-profile
>drwsrwsr-x 24 kira users 4096 2010-04-03 16:16 kira
>drwxr-sr-x 2 kira users 4096 2010-04-02 18:59 kira.V2
>
>These are 2 empty profiles.
>I logged on to user kira with an XP client, set the background colour to
>green and logged of. Profile kira was filled with data. Now I logged on to
>user kira with an Win7 client, the background was black. I set the
>background to yellow and logged of. The profile kira.V2 is still empty.
>Finally I logged on to kira with XP and the background was yellow. So Win7
>and XP are using the same profile, which should be if I understand "mr.
>google" right. I thought I just had to copy the roaming profiles to a
>profile with extension .V2.
>
>I found following in the samba log during Win7 logon:
> :
>get_referred_path: |nt-profile.V2| in dfs path \testserver\nt-profile.V2
>is not a dfs root.
> :
>Connect path is '/BUERO/samba/nt-profile/kira' for service [nt-profile.v2]
> :
>connect to service nt-profile.v2 initially as user kira (uid=524, gid=100)
>(pid 12087)
> :
>reduce_name [.] [/BUERO/samba/nt-profile/kira]
> :
>
>Further, there is a reference to nt-profile.V2 (uppercase V2) and next a
>connect to nt-profile.v2 (lowercase v2). What is the difference? Finally,
>the profile kira is used and not kira.V2. Why?
>
>Can someone explain me the correct setup of samba for Win7 clients?
>
>regards robert
>--
>Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
>jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser
Robert

remove the .V2 share and then remove your profiles from vista/win 7 at this
reg key

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

then all will work as expected.

--
Damien Dye BSC(hon)

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Damien Dye <damien.j.dye(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Robert
>
> remove the .V2 share and then remove your profiles from vista/win 7 at this
> reg key
>
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
>
> then all will work as expected.

It's interesting to me that everyone gives different advice that works...
I mean roaming profiles (XP and Win7) work for me with the 2 separate
shares pointing to 2 different places..

I guess there are several working solutions to this problem..

John