From: VanguardLH on
Theo Grimmelikhuijsen wrote:

> Can somebody tell me how I can remove tools in windows you never (or almost
> never) use? I need more space on my hard disk.

Removing software is rarely the good choice to get more disk space -
unless, of course, they consume gigabytes of space. That isn't typical
(yet) and its the huge sized data files that you have to get off the
hard drive and onto removable media (floppy, CD, DVD, USB flash stick,
external USB hard drive).

So what is the total number of bytes consumed by the programs that you
want to remove (which you never identified)? How much, in bytes, are
you storing on your internal hard drive for just data files?
From: VanguardLH on
Theo Grimmelikhuijsen wrote:

> But I have a mini-laptop, hard disk only 12 gb, split up in two partitions,
> C: 4 gb and D: 8 gb.
>
> Windows and some necessary files are on the C-drive
>
> Starting up the systems says there is not enough space on C, and is very
> very slow, that is the reason of my question
>
> I removed many files, or I tried to move them to D, but then it is not
> possible, because these programs are needed for Windows.
>
> I tried with a partition manger to change the size of c and D, but that was
> not possible

What is on your D: drive? Data files? If so, you could move those onto
removable media. Then repartition (not reinstall but just repartition)
to delete D: and enlarge C: to use the space previously occupied by D:.
Depending on what type of data files you are storing in D:, it won't
take many files, like graphics or videos, to consume the 8GB for D:.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You get what you (don't) pay for. A $9K Hundai's not gonna perform like a
$85K BMW.

Get a bigger HDD or replace the underpowered mini.

How to reclaim disk space on a Windows XP-based computer that has a hard
disk capacity of 4 GB or less
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956324
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Nil on
On 07 Aug 2010, Bert Hyman <bert(a)iphouse.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> If your paging file is on your C: partition, consider moving it to
> your D: partition, making sure that it's not configured to a fixed
> size that's too large.
>
> Right-click "My Computer", select "Properties", click the
> "Advanced" tab, click the "Settings" button in the "Performance"
> area, select the "Advanced" tab in the "Performance Options"
> dialog, then click the "Change" button in the "Virtual memory"
> area.
>
> If you choose to change the settings, consider changing the C
> drive setting to "No paging file", and in the D drive setting,
> select "System managed size."

I believe you are forced to leave a small vestigial paging file on the
C: drive, but you can create a large primary one on D.
From: Nil on
On 07 Aug 2010, "Theo Grimmelikhuijsen" <tggrimm(a)planet.nl> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> But I have a mini-laptop, hard disk only 12 gb, split up in two
> partitions, C: 4 gb and D: 8 gb.
>
> Windows and some necessary files are on the C-drive
>
> Starting up the systems says there is not enough space on C, and
> is very very slow, that is the reason of my question
>
> I removed many files, or I tried to move them to D, but then it is
> not possible, because these programs are needed for Windows.

- move move your Temp file folder to the D drive

- Move your "My Documents" folder to the D drive.

- move your browser cache folder to the D drive.

- if you have other users set up on the computer, log in as each one of
them and do the above operations for each of them. Also, clear out
their browser caches and temp folders. CCleaner can help find and
delete unnecessary files (but avoid its Registry Cleaner features
unless you know what you're doing.)

- move your page file to the D drive.

- if you are still desperate, uninstall some of the larger programs
(i.e. MS Office) and re-install them to the D drive.

- if you are still desperate, remove the oldest of the restore folders
created by the Windows security patches.

- if your C drive has been that full, when you finally enough free disk
space, give it a good defrag - it probably needs it by now.