From: David Malone on
MZ <mark(a)nospam.void> writes:

>Still returns illegal byte sequence.

Hmmm - odd - "Illegal byte sequence" is definitely a locale related
error, it's listed as EILSEQ in errno(2) and should usually only
happen if you're using multibyte or wide characters. The multibyte
stuff changes the behaviour of quite a number of library functions
that deal with strings, so it is hard to guess exactly where the
problem is. If you use "rm" directly on one of the files, rather
than "rm -r ..." do you see the same problem? How about using unlink?

David.
From: MZ on
David Malone wrote:
> MZ <mark(a)nospam.void> writes:
>
>> Still returns illegal byte sequence.
>
> Hmmm - odd - "Illegal byte sequence" is definitely a locale related
> error, it's listed as EILSEQ in errno(2) and should usually only
> happen if you're using multibyte or wide characters. The multibyte
> stuff changes the behaviour of quite a number of library functions
> that deal with strings, so it is hard to guess exactly where the
> problem is. If you use "rm" directly on one of the files, rather
> than "rm -r ..." do you see the same problem? How about using unlink?
>
> David.

# ls
CupsIppOperation.h PrintAttributeException.h
CupsPrintService.h PrintFlavorException.h
CupsPrintServiceLookup.h PrintUriException.h
CupsServer.h PrinterDialog.h
# unlink PrinterDialog.h
unlink: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence
# rm PrinterDialog.h
rm: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence
From: Tim Daneliuk on
On 6/7/2010 12:27 PM, MZ wrote:
> David Malone wrote:
>> MZ <mark(a)nospam.void> writes:
>>
>>> Still returns illegal byte sequence.
>>
>> Hmmm - odd - "Illegal byte sequence" is definitely a locale related
>> error, it's listed as EILSEQ in errno(2) and should usually only
>> happen if you're using multibyte or wide characters. The multibyte
>> stuff changes the behaviour of quite a number of library functions
>> that deal with strings, so it is hard to guess exactly where the
>> problem is. If you use "rm" directly on one of the files, rather
>> than "rm -r ..." do you see the same problem? How about using unlink?
>>
>> David.
>
> # ls
> CupsIppOperation.h PrintAttributeException.h
> CupsPrintService.h PrintFlavorException.h
> CupsPrintServiceLookup.h PrintUriException.h
> CupsServer.h PrinterDialog.h
> # unlink PrinterDialog.h
> unlink: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence
> # rm PrinterDialog.h
> rm: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence

This was my original suspicion as well. Have you tried to go to
a clean (non Unicode) locale and simply rename a file to see if
you can then delete it?

Tim Daneliuk tundra(a)tundraware.com
PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

From: Bob Eager on
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 13:27:57 -0400, MZ wrote:

> David Malone wrote:
>> MZ <mark(a)nospam.void> writes:
>>
>>> Still returns illegal byte sequence.
>>
>> Hmmm - odd - "Illegal byte sequence" is definitely a locale related
>> error, it's listed as EILSEQ in errno(2) and should usually only happen
>> if you're using multibyte or wide characters. The multibyte stuff
>> changes the behaviour of quite a number of library functions that deal
>> with strings, so it is hard to guess exactly where the problem is. If
>> you use "rm" directly on one of the files, rather than "rm -r ..." do
>> you see the same problem? How about using unlink?
>>
>> David.
>
> # ls
> CupsIppOperation.h PrintAttributeException.h
> CupsPrintService.h PrintFlavorException.h
> CupsPrintServiceLookup.h PrintUriException.h CupsServer.h
> PrinterDialog.h # unlink PrinterDialog.h
> unlink: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence # rm PrinterDialog.h
> rm: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence

ls -i PrinterDialog.h
(get inode number on left)
use clri to clear it (on the correct device!)
fsck the device

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1976)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
From: MZ on
Black Dragon wrote:
> MZ wrote:
>
>> David Malone wrote:

>>> Hmmm - odd - "Illegal byte sequence" is definitely a locale related
>>> error, it's listed as EILSEQ in errno(2) and should usually only
>>> happen if you're using multibyte or wide characters. The multibyte
>>> stuff changes the behaviour of quite a number of library functions
>>> that deal with strings, so it is hard to guess exactly where the
>>> problem is. If you use "rm" directly on one of the files, rather
>>> than "rm -r ..." do you see the same problem? How about using unlink?
>
>> # ls
>> CupsIppOperation.h PrintAttributeException.h
>> CupsPrintService.h PrintFlavorException.h
>> CupsPrintServiceLookup.h PrintUriException.h
>> CupsServer.h PrinterDialog.h
>> # unlink PrinterDialog.h
>> unlink: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence
>> # rm PrinterDialog.h
>> rm: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence
>
> As someone else pointed out, what (if any) are the file flags? In the
> same directory what is the output of "ls -lo" ?

# ls -lo
ls: CupsIppOperation.h: Illegal byte sequence
ls: CupsPrintService.h: Illegal byte sequence
ls: CupsPrintServiceLookup.h: Illegal byte sequence
ls: CupsServer.h: Illegal byte sequence
ls: PrintAttributeException.h: Illegal byte sequence
ls: PrintFlavorException.h: Illegal byte sequence
ls: PrintUriException.h: Illegal byte sequence
ls: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence
total 0