From: MZ on
Bob Eager wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 13:27:57 -0400, MZ wrote:
>
>> David Malone wrote:

>>> Hmmm - odd - "Illegal byte sequence" is definitely a locale related
>>> error, it's listed as EILSEQ in errno(2) and should usually only happen
>>> if you're using multibyte or wide characters. The multibyte stuff
>>> changes the behaviour of quite a number of library functions that deal
>>> with strings, so it is hard to guess exactly where the problem is. If
>>> you use "rm" directly on one of the files, rather than "rm -r ..." do
>>> you see the same problem? How about using unlink?
>>>
>>> David.
>> # ls
>> CupsIppOperation.h PrintAttributeException.h
>> CupsPrintService.h PrintFlavorException.h
>> CupsPrintServiceLookup.h PrintUriException.h CupsServer.h
>> PrinterDialog.h # unlink PrinterDialog.h
>> unlink: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence # rm PrinterDialog.h
>> rm: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence
>
> ls -i PrinterDialog.h
> (get inode number on left)
> use clri to clear it (on the correct device!)
> fsck the device

# ls -i PrinterDialog.h
ls: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence

Also, I don't believe I can fsck the device, because it's a zfs raidz
array. But I'll research this some more.
From: MZ on
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> On 6/7/2010 12:27 PM, MZ wrote:
>> David Malone wrote:

>>> Hmmm - odd - "Illegal byte sequence" is definitely a locale related
>>> error, it's listed as EILSEQ in errno(2) and should usually only
>>> happen if you're using multibyte or wide characters. The multibyte
>>> stuff changes the behaviour of quite a number of library functions
>>> that deal with strings, so it is hard to guess exactly where the
>>> problem is. If you use "rm" directly on one of the files, rather
>>> than "rm -r ..." do you see the same problem? How about using unlink?
>>>
>>> David.
>> # ls
>> CupsIppOperation.h PrintAttributeException.h
>> CupsPrintService.h PrintFlavorException.h
>> CupsPrintServiceLookup.h PrintUriException.h
>> CupsServer.h PrinterDialog.h
>> # unlink PrinterDialog.h
>> unlink: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence
>> # rm PrinterDialog.h
>> rm: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence
>
> This was my original suspicion as well. Have you tried to go to
> a clean (non Unicode) locale and simply rename a file to see if
> you can then delete it?

Interesting. I haven't tried that. How do I go to a clean locale?
From: Tim Daneliuk on
On 6/7/2010 1:42 PM, MZ wrote:
> Tim Daneliuk wrote:

>>> # ls
>>> CupsIppOperation.h PrintAttributeException.h
>>> CupsPrintService.h PrintFlavorException.h
>>> CupsPrintServiceLookup.h PrintUriException.h
>>> CupsServer.h PrinterDialog.h
>>> # unlink PrinterDialog.h
>>> unlink: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence
>>> # rm PrinterDialog.h
>>> rm: PrinterDialog.h: Illegal byte sequence
>>
>> This was my original suspicion as well. Have you tried to go to
>> a clean (non Unicode) locale and simply rename a file to see if
>> you can then delete it?
>>

> Interesting. I haven't tried that. How do I go to a clean locale?

What is output on your system of:

locale

Let's see where you are right now.
Tim Daneliuk tundra(a)tundraware.com
PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

From: MZ on
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> On 6/7/2010 1:42 PM, MZ wrote:
>> Tim Daneliuk wrote:

>>> This was my original suspicion as well. Have you tried to go to
>>> a clean (non Unicode) locale and simply rename a file to see if
>>> you can then delete it?
>>>
>> Interesting. I haven't tried that. How do I go to a clean locale?
>
> What is output on your system of:
>
> locale
>
> Let's see where you are right now.

# locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=
From: Paul Floyd on
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:27:52 -0400, MZ <mark(a)nospam.void> wrote:
> Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
>> + MZ <mark(a)nospam.void>:
>>
>>> It's a zfs volume, so I dont think it can be fsck'd.
>>
>> That is important information. You should have told us from the start!
>> Then you wouldn't have wasted so much of other people's time.
>>
>> My two cents worth: Try booting the system into opensolaris and try
>> deleting the files from there. Or try poking around in the archives of
>> the freebsd-fs mailing list or ask on that list, or find some other zfs
>> related mailing list.
>
> I haven't the foggiest idea about how to boot into opensolaris...

Download the CD, boot it, then try zpool import.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr