From: Gordon J. Rattray on
Hi there,

I've got my laptop set up and it works fine from the home ISP where the email accounts are based.

I take my laptop with me and hook up into a different network on the road and I'd like it to be static with the home ISP and to be able to send it with the home ISP.

How can I do this without always changing the outgoing server to the where ever I am ISP?

Thanks,

Gordon
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
check with your home isp - some use alternate ports while most require you to authenticate before sending.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

From: N. Miller on
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:01:41 -0800, Gordon J. Rattray wrote:

> I've got my laptop set up and it works fine from the home ISP where the email accounts are based.
>
> I take my laptop with me and hook up into a different network on the road and I'd like it to be static with the home ISP and to be able to send it with the home ISP.
>
> How can I do this without always changing the outgoing server to the where ever I am ISP?

You have two issues to resolve:

A.> Does Shaw Cable allow foreign hosts to connect to their servers?

B.> Does the host you are connecting with allow outbound port 25 traffic?

If the answer to A. is, "No", you are pretty much out of luck with trying to
use their message submission servers from outside of the Shaw Cable IP
network.

If the answer to A. is, "Yes", but the answer to B. is, "No", you will have
to see if Shaw Cable has set up access via a different message submission
port.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come