From: Dave Warren on
In message <i2knm7$93t$1(a)news.eternal-september.org> Lynn McGuire
<lmc(a)winsim.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>I don't know why MS could not build a WOW16 emulator of their
>own for Win64.

1) Lack of demand.

2) They did. Or rather, it's part of XP Mode which is included free on
the business-targeted releases of Windows 7.
From: Shenan Stanley on
Carlos wrote:
> And/Or using the free of charge XP mode in Win 7 Ultimate.
> :)
> Carlos

Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.

However - that is just a virtual machine - so still falls in the original
answer scope.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Jim on
"Lynn McGuire" <lmc(a)winsim.com> wrote in message
> I don't know why MS could not build a WOW16 emulator of their
> own for Win64.
I think NTVDM uses virtual 86 mode which isn't available under long mode.

From: Lorne on
"Lynn McGuire" <lmc(a)winsim.com> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to run 16 bit software on a 64 bit system?
>
> Yes. Use DosBox ( http://www.dosbox.com/ ).
>
> I don't know why MS could not build a WOW16 emulator of their
> own for Win64.
>
> Lynn

Thanks - that looks promising so I will try it.

From: Lynn McGuire on
>> I don't know why MS could not build a WOW16 emulator of their
>> own for Win64.
> I think NTVDM uses virtual 86 mode which isn't available under long mode.

MS should have built their own DosBox then ...

Lynn