From: Andrew Hamilton on
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:40:11 -0600, VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote:

>Herman wrote:
>
>> Anyone interested in a rws viewer (that sorts and exports the rules)
>> feel free to download it at www. hgroenewegen. nl
>
>Redirects to http:// hgroenewegen. atspace. com. This uses a meta-refresh
>tag:
>
><!--meta http-equiv=refresh content="0; &#13;&#10;url=http:// home. tiscali.
>nl/ ~ti013118"-->
>
>to redirect again to some tiscali customer's personal web page (if refresh
>is disabled, you're shown a link to this tiscali page).
>
>No thanks. Got a warning about finding the HTML:IFrame-KU[Trj] trojan from
>the atspace site. Luckily I visited the unknown and untrusted site with all
>add-ons and scripting disabled.

I turned on Private Browsing in FireFox. And I have FireFox set to
block all downloads and plug-ins by default.

The fact that there is a 'drive-by download' on this site doesn't
necessarily mean that the program's author is a bad guy. He/she could
have a poorly managed site and some third-party bad guys planted the
download. Happens only all the time.

>Geez, why not just use the export and import of rules already available in
>Outlook? There is no point in sorting them. The rules should be ordered
>according the flow needed to process them in a priority sequence on each
>e-mail they get exercised. Sorting is stupid. That is not likely the order
>you should be defining your rules set.

I think the real issue for me, assuming that the download is safe, is
"So what?" I have something like 50+ rules in Outlook, and I have
them sorted by topic area already. Problem is, every time I want to
add a new rule, I have to do a slow, manual sort.

What I would really like to see is the ability to EDIT these rules
outside of Outlook, including add/change/delete/sort operations, and
then RE-IMPORT these changes into an .rwz file. That would be a real
win.

If I had the programming skills of some of the MVPs in this group, I
would have written such a program already. But I don't. Even though
I don't have an employer would pay for such a program, if it existed,
I surely would for my personal usage.

-AH
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
> If I had the programming skills of some of the MVPs in this group, I
> would have written such a program already.

Actually, it wouldn't matter if you had the skills. There is a reason why no
such program exists to this day and its not because no one would buy it -
rules are undocumented and no one has figured the structure out.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

From: Andrew Hamilton on
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:40:06 -0500, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]"
<outlookmvp(a)msn.com> wrote:

>> If I had the programming skills of some of the MVPs in this group, I
>> would have written such a program already.
>
>Actually, it wouldn't matter if you had the skills. There is a reason why no
>such program exists to this day and its not because no one would buy it -
>rules are undocumented and no one has figured the structure out.
Diane,

Thank you.

Are you saying that the Outlook "object model" does not cover rules?
If that is the case, that is a major oversight.

If that is the case, how does this third-party company manage to set
up their own rules-processing engine?

-AH