From: Herman on
Anyone interested in a rws viewer (that sorts and exports the rules)
feel free to download it at www.hgroenewegen.nl

From: VanguardLH on
Herman wrote:

> Anyone interested in a rws viewer (that sorts and exports the rules)
> feel free to download it at www. hgroenewegen. nl

Redirects to http:// hgroenewegen. atspace. com. This uses a meta-refresh
tag:

<!--meta http-equiv=refresh content="0; &#13;&#10;url=http:// home. tiscali.
nl/ ~ti013118"-->

to redirect again to some tiscali customer's personal web page (if refresh
is disabled, you're shown a link to this tiscali page).

No thanks. Got a warning about finding the HTML:IFrame-KU[Trj] trojan from
the atspace site. Luckily I visited the unknown and untrusted site with all
add-ons and scripting disabled.

Geez, why not just use the export and import of rules already available in
Outlook? There is no point in sorting them. The rules should be ordered
according the flow needed to process them in a priority sequence on each
e-mail they get exercised. Sorting is stupid. That is not likely the order
you should be defining your rules set.
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
Actually, the ability to sort would be very useful to anyone with many
rules - it would allow these users to see what rules they have so they don't
duplicate them. In most cases, the order doesn't matter in Outlook - a large
% of rules are basic 'if from .... then move to....". The order only matters
when more than one rule applies to a message.

A better rules editor should sell well but it requires some reverse
engineering as there is no documentation or object model for rules.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

From: VanguardLH on
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:

> Actually, the ability to sort would be very useful to anyone with many
> rules - it would allow these users to see what rules they have so they don't
> duplicate them. In most cases, the order doesn't matter in Outlook - a large
> % of rules are basic 'if from .... then move to....". The order only matters
> when more than one rule applies to a message.
>
> A better rules editor should sell well but it requires some reverse
> engineering as there is no documentation or object model for rules.

Okay, say you have a whitelisting rule. If from <someperson> then
<whatever>. If you had dozens or hundreds of rules, why would you waste the
time have all of the non-applicable rules exercised against this e-mail that
you already know you want to keep? Whitelisting (and blacklisting) rules go
at the top of your rules list. If an e-mail matches on those rules, there
is no point in running any other e-mails against that same e-mail.

Granted is that most users never even bother to consider how their e-mails
flow through their set of rules.
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
While it is more efficient if you put the most used rules on top, the speed
at which modern computers operate means that it really doesn't matter. The
rules editor sucks for more than a handful of rules so few people will
organize them for efficiency or remove rules they no longer need (such as
for spam addresses). A good 3rd party rules editor would not only allow you
to sort rules but also to easily re-arrange them.