From: Igor Solodovnikov on
It takes few minutes, not seconds for SQL Server installer to check that
password. So i think this is not a good practice to check password this
way. Imagine a user entering password, clicking ok and receives error
"password is not strong enough" in 3 minutes ...

From: Ryan on
I missed the fact this was during install, i assumed you were doing a

ALTER LOGIN sa WITH PASSWORD = '3dsadsadsad7';
--
HTH. Ryan
"Igor Solodovnikov" <IgorSolodovnikov(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

From: David Gugick on
Igor Solodovnikov wrote:
> It takes few minutes, not seconds for SQL Server installer to check
> that password. So i think this is not a good practice to check
> password this way. Imagine a user entering password, clicking ok and
> receives error "password is not strong enough" in 3 minutes ...
>
> <SNIP>

From BOL:

Password complexity policies are designed to deter brute force attacks
by increasing the number of possible passwords. When password complexity
policy is enforced, new passwords must meet the following guidelines.
a.. The password does not contain all or "part" of the user's account
name. Part of an account name is defined as three or more consecutive
alpha-numeric characters delimited on both ends by "white space" (space,
tab, return, etc.) or any of the following characters: , . - _ #
b.. The password is at least six characters long.
c.. The password contains characters from three of the following four
categories:

a.. English uppercase letters (A ? Z)
b.. English lowercase letters (a ? z)
c.. Base 10 digits (0 ? 9)
d.. Non?alphanumeric (For example: !, $, #, or %)

--
David Gugick
Quest Software

From: Igor Solodovnikov on
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 06:41:23 +0200, David Gugick
<david.gugick-nospam(a)quest.com> wrote:

> b.. The password is at least six characters long.

But i successfully set password okok to sa account...
So SQL Server uses another set of rules.
From: Daniel Crichton on
Igor wrote on Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:27:29 +0200:

> SQL Server 2005 rejects empty or very short sa passwords. Where can i read
> formal definition of sa password rules. I writing setup application which
> will install SQL Server Express in command line unattended mode. So i need
> to check sa password for its stronginess prior to passing it to SQL
> Server's installer.

It only does this if you have enabled Password Complexity Policy. During
install on my test server I had no trouble using the password sa for the sa
account, as you have to explicitly enable the policy using ALTER LOGIN for
each login.

Dan