From: Igor Solodovnikov on
SQL Server 2005 rejects empty or very short sa passwords. Where can i read
formal definition of sa password rules. I writing setup application which
will install SQL Server Express in command line unattended mode. So i need
to check sa password for its stronginess prior to passing it to SQL
Server's installer.
From: Immy on
not sure where you can read up on it, but a good practice would be to use
password that contains a mixture of the following...
Numbers, Capitals Letters and Lower case Letters and a minimum of 8
characters.

Not sure if SQL2005 actually now uses capitilzation, but previous versions
haven't cared about capitilisation.

Regards
Immy

"Igor Solodovnikov" <IgorSolodovnikov(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:op.s3v2j3u4n8ihmu(a)iw2k.helpmicro.local...

From: Ryan on
SQL Server Authentication passwords are now case sensitive. They follow the
valid password rules set for your computer.

--
HTH. Ryan

From: Igor Solodovnikov on
I know about a good practice. But when user enters a password my program
need to check will SQL Server accept that symbol seqence or not. I need
algorithm to implement such check?

From: Ryan on
How about encompassing the whole thing in a TRY.. CATCH Block...

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/tsqlref9/html/248df62a-7334-4bca-8262-235a28f4b07f.htm

You'll need to check the severity of the error returned when a password
doesn't meet the rules as there are certain severity's that are unaffected
by TRY..CATCH

--
HTH. Ryan
"Igor Solodovnikov" <IgorSolodovnikov(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in