From: Jack A Jack on
I have xp home.

I have just setup a laptop to access my desktop.

I can print and see the shared folder but I cannot save after editing.

It tells me the files are read only.

When i look at the desk top the files are not read only but the folder is.
I assume the file are getting this attribute from the folded but I do not
know how to remove this.

Everything I read say go to properties then the security tab and give
permissions to the folder for network users. When I do that there is no
security tab only a sharing tab which is setup for network access and users
can edit the file.

Help

Jack
From: David B. on
That's because what you are reading is for XP Pro, in order to have that tab
in Home Edition you need to boot to safe mode.

From: John Wunderlich on
=?Utf-8?B?SmFjayBB?= <Jack A(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I have xp home.
>
> I have just setup a laptop to access my desktop.
>
> I can print and see the shared folder but I cannot save after
> editing.
>
> It tells me the files are read only.
>
> When i look at the desk top the files are not read only but the
> folder is. I assume the file are getting this attribute from the
> folded but I do not know how to remove this.
>
> Everything I read say go to properties then the security tab and
> give permissions to the folder for network users. When I do that
> there is no security tab only a sharing tab which is setup for
> network access and users can edit the file.
>
> Help
>
> Jack

When you enabled the folder for sharing by right-clicking on it and
selecting "Sharing and Security", did you also check the box labeled
"Allow network users to change my files" ?

-- John