From: Mark Adams on

"Sanford Aranoff" wrote:

> During the past several weeks my XP SP3 has slowed down.
> Other people have the same issue. We think this is due to
> automatic updates that slow the machines down. Done
> deliberately, we believe. How can we restore the system to
> its previous state, say, 2 months ago without losing recent
> stuff?
> .

Use the following two KB articles to diagnose the slow running:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

You probably have a software conflict.
From: Shenan Stanley on
Sanford Aranoff wrote:
> During the past several weeks my XP SP3 has slowed down.
> Other people have the same issue. We think this is due to
> automatic updates that slow the machines down. Done
> deliberately, we believe. How can we restore the system to
> its previous state, say, 2 months ago without losing recent
> stuff?

Your slowness is unlikely to have much to do with regular security updates.
Not saying there has never been an issue with updates from Microsoft - but
this would be a much more broadly discussed topic if it were true (not to
mention the many many machines I manage/help manage still running Windows
XP - fully patched - are having no issues.)

Let's get some information from you and then I will give you some basic
things you can do to cleanup your machine...

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response to this message
verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure character-for-character
copying.
;-)

- What versionof Internet Explorer do you have installed?

- Do you have any alternative web browsers (Firefox, Opera, etc) installed?
If so - which ones and what version?

- What AntiVirus software do you use? (Version and Name)

- What AntiSpyware/AntiMalware software do you use? (Version and Name)

- What is your backup regime? (How often? To what? Using what
software/method?)

- What are the basic hardware specifications of your computer? (Processor
speed/type, amount of memory/RAM, total and free disk space?)

If you need help answering any of the above - please don't be shy - ask and
someone will surely assist you get that information. Most can probably be
gleamed from a free download/installation/run of "Belarc Advisor":
http://www.belarc.com/

Now that some information has been gathered, here are some simple (albeit
somewhat time consuming) steps you can follow to cleanup your machine a bit.
After you are done doing these steps - come back and report that you did
them and any issues you had while doing them. If you get error messages -
report those messages here *word-for-word*.

Do this in the order shown, finishing each item before continuing to the
next.

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the final step (6) of the method. You say you have SP3.

Reboot.

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

That should be fairly quick and should not require a reboot.

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Come back - report what you find. Many times the machines are slow because
of poor maintenance routines (not your fault - no one tells you to your face
in a one-on-one fashion that you need to do some of these things - sadly.)

Sometimes - it is a collection of crud that slows you down. Sometimes it is
overprotection (all-in-one Antivirus suites that include firewalls and other
software that give mediocre results at a high resource price - often also
causing conflicts and slow downs in other ways - beyond resource use.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Sanford Aranoff on
Shenan Stanley wrote:

> Sanford Aranoff wrote:
> > During the past several weeks my XP SP3 has slowed down.
> > Other people have the same issue. We think this is due to
> > automatic updates that slow the machines down. Done
> > deliberately, we believe. How can we restore the system to
> > its previous state, say, 2 months ago without losing recent
> > stuff?
>
> Your slowness is unlikely to have much to do with regular security updates.
> Not saying there has never been an issue with updates from Microsoft - but
> this would be a much more broadly discussed topic if it were true (not to
> mention the many many machines I manage/help manage still running Windows
> XP - fully patched - are having no issues.)
>
> Let's get some information from you and then I will give you some basic
> things you can do to cleanup your machine...
>
> Start button --> RUN
> (no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
> --> type in:
> winver
> --> Click OK.
>
> The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
> (Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
> give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response to this message
> verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure character-for-character
> copying.
Windows Professional
Version 5.1 Build 2600.xpsp_s3_gdr.090804-1435:Service Pack
3
> ;-)
>
> - What version of Internet Explorer do you have installed?
6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_s3_gdr.090804-1435

I do not use IE.
Opera 9.64. I use this most of the time.
Firefox version 3.5.5.

> - Do you have any alternative web browsers (Firefox, Opera, etc) installed?
> If so - which ones and what version?
>
> - What AntiVirus software do you use? (Version and Name)
BitDefender Antivirus 2009

> - What AntiSpyware/AntiMalware software do you use? (Version and Name)

Webroot Spy Sweeper

> - What is your backup regime? (How often? To what? Using what
> software/method?)
Backup daily to my webpage. Software: Timing.exe, available
on www.analysis-knowledge.com
Monthly: Create image of hard disk on external drive, using
Acronis True Image.

> - What are the basic hardware specifications of your computer? (Processor
> speed/type, amount of memory/RAM, total and free disk space?)
Pentium 4 CPU, 3.00GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM
Disk: Total size 74.4 GB, Free Space 35.1 GB.

PerfectDisk 10 defragger.

> If you need help answering any of the above - please don't be shy - ask and
> someone will surely assist you get that information. Most can probably be
> gleamed from a free download/installation/run of "Belarc Advisor":
> http://www.belarc.com/
>
> Now that some information has been gathered, here are some simple (albeit
> somewhat time consuming) steps you can follow to cleanup your machine a bit.
> After you are done doing these steps - come back and report that you did
> them and any issues you had while doing them. If you get error messages -
> report those messages here *word-for-word*.
>
> Do this in the order shown, finishing each item before continuing to the
> next.
>
> Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
> titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
> *will take time
> ** Ignore the final step (6) of the method. You say you have SP3.
>
> Reboot.
>
> Download/install this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
I am concerned about using Windows Installer CleanUp
Utility, as it may corrupt existing programs.

From: C on
Sanford Aranoff wrote:
> C wrote:
>> Sanford Aranoff wrote:
>>> During the past several weeks my XP SP3 has slowed down.
>>> Other people have the same issue. We think this is due to
>>> automatic updates that slow the machines down. Done
>>> deliberately, we believe.
>> You're wrong. I have an install of XP sp3 and it has all the updates and
>> runs like silk. It boots up in 39 seconds from the time I push the
>> off/on until the desktop loads. Programs open very quickly and I have no
>> performance issues.
>>
>>> How can we restore the system to
>>> its previous state, say, 2 months ago without losing recent
>>> stuff?
>> I trust you have all your data backed up, right?
>>
>> I would be inclined to say you are probably infected by malware. Run
>> anti malware scans and your anti virus scan. What anti virus/anti
>> malware programs do you have?
>>
>> Another possibility is that your hard drive is set to PIO due to a power
>> outage.

> Webroot anti-spyware and BitDefender antivirus.

Is your hard drive set to PIO? Have you scanned your computer for malware?

From: Sanford Aranoff on
C wrote:

> Sanford Aranoff wrote:
> > C wrote:
> >> You're wrong. I have an install of XP sp3 and it has all the updates and
> >> runs like silk. It boots up in 39 seconds from the time I push the
> >> off/on until the desktop loads. Programs open very quickly and I have no
> >> performance issues.

> >> I trust you have all your data backed up, right?
> >>
> >> I would be inclined to say you are probably infected by malware. Run
> >> anti malware scans and your anti virus scan. What anti virus/anti
> >> malware programs do you have?
> >>
> >> Another possibility is that your hard drive is set to PIO due to a power
> >> outage.

> > Webroot anti-spyware and BitDefender antivirus.

Is your hard drive set to PIO? How do I answer this?

Have you scanned your computer for malware? Yes.