From: C on
Sanford Aranoff wrote:
> C wrote:

>>> DMA if available.
>>> Shall I change it to PIO?
>> NO! That will slow it down even more. You have two choices:
>>
>> 1. Scan for malware until it runs well again.
>>
>> 2. Reinstall XP which will probably take less time and you'll know that
>> all malware is gone.

> Reinstall XP is impossible, as I have to reinstall all my
> software. It is sad that Microsoft does not give the option
> of reinstalling the OS and keeping desired software.

Trust me, reinstalling will be quicker. You can scan and scan for days
and still have the problem, especially if the malware has dorked your
registry. It's time to bite the bullet. Once you have XP up and running
to your liking, either clone it (Casper 5 has incremental clones) or
make an image so if this happens again, restoring isn't a problem. The
time spent since you first posted and now was more than enough to have
already reinstalled XP and all your programs :-)

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 06:45:39 -0500, Sanford Aranoff
<aranoff(a)analysis-knowledge.com> wrote:

> C wrote:

> > > DMA if available.
> > > Shall I change it to PIO?
> >
> > NO! That will slow it down even more. You have two choices:
> >
> > 1. Scan for malware until it runs well again.
> >
> > 2. Reinstall XP which will probably take less time and you'll know that
> > all malware is gone.

> Reinstall XP is impossible, as I have to reinstall all my
> software.

I am not necessarily recommending that you reinstall Windows, but if
you are in a situation where reinstalling is "impossible," you are in
a very dangerous situation. It is *always* possible that something
occurs that makes reinstallation your only choice. Difficult as it may
be for you, you should always be sure that you have whatever you need
to do this.

> It is sad that Microsoft does not give the option
> of reinstalling the OS and keeping desired software.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Daave on
Sanford Aranoff wrote:
> C wrote:

>>> DMA if available.
>>> Shall I change it to PIO?
>>
>> NO! That will slow it down even more. You have two choices:
>>
>> 1. Scan for malware until it runs well again.
>>
>> 2. Reinstall XP which will probably take less time and you'll know
>> that all malware is gone.

> Reinstall XP is impossible, as I have to reinstall all my
> software.

That doesn't make it impossible; just more time-consuming.

If you had an up-to-date image of your hard drive (prior to your
problem), all you would need to do is restore it. So, in the future,
consider this option.

> It is sad that Microsoft does not give the option
> of reinstalling the OS and keeping desired software.

Microsoft does give you this option; it is called a Repair Install.
However, Repair Installs should only be done in certain situations where
malware is not involved. If you have malware, you need to remove it. If
the removal is *more* time-consuming than a Clean Install (followed by
the installation of harware drivers, service packs and subsequent
security patches, and programs, etc.), then a Clean Install -- as
painful as it might seem -- is the logical option.

Then again, if the malware removal is not very time-consuming, that is
what you should do! I believe many have given you suggestions, including
MBAM. I will look more carefully at this thread and make other
suggestions if appropriate.

From: Daave on
Sanford Aranoff wrote:
> Bob I wrote:
>>
>> Sanford Aranoff wrote:
>>> Is your hard drive set to PIO? How do I answer this?
>>>

>> Device Manager, IDE Controller, Primary Channel, Properties, Advanced
>> Settings
>
> DMA if available.
> Shall I change it to PIO?

Since PIO is *much* slower, the answer is no. :-)

Actually, you are looking at the wrong thing.

When you are in Device Manager, looking at Primary IDE Channel (assuming
that is what your hard drive is on), consider there might be more than
one of these Primary IDE Channel entries. Furthermore, for each one,
there will be two devices (0 and 1). If you're not sure what you're
looking for, look at *every single one* of them!

It will probably be Device 0. Also, don't confuse "Transfer Mode" with
"Current Transfer Mode."

"DMA if available" is to be expected for "Transfer Mode." What you need
to tell us is what do you see *below* that (in "Current Transfer Mode")?
Hopefully, it will say "Ultra DMA Mode 5." If it says PIO, then we know
your hard drive's transfer mode has slipped. If your *hard drive's*
transfer mode is PIO, let us know, so we can help you get it back to
DMA. If you're not sure, post back *everything* you see.

From: Daave on
Sanford Aranoff wrote:
> Shenan Stanley wrote:

>> - What is your backup regime? (How often? To what? Using what
>> software/method?)

> Backup daily to my webpage. Software: Timing.exe, available
> on www.analysis-knowledge.com
> Monthly: Create image of hard disk on external drive, using
> Acronis True Image.

Ah, so you do this already!

I am not familiar with your first backup method, but if you are unable
to find a speedy solution to your performace issue, all you need to do
is copy all your newer data since you made your last image (then again,
*all* your data would be better -- to cover all bases). Make sure you
get all your e-mails, address book, Web browser favorites, etc. Then
restore your most recent image and add back the newer data.