From: Sanford Aranoff on
During the past several weeks my XP SP3 has slowed down.
Other people have the same issue. We think this is due to
automatic updates that slow the machines down. Done
deliberately, we believe. How can we restore the system to
its previous state, say, 2 months ago without losing recent
stuff?
From: C on
Sanford Aranoff wrote:
> During the past several weeks my XP SP3 has slowed down.
> Other people have the same issue. We think this is due to
> automatic updates that slow the machines down. Done
> deliberately, we believe.

You're wrong. I have an install of XP sp3 and it has all the updates and
runs like silk. It boots up in 39 seconds from the time I push the
off/on until the desktop loads. Programs open very quickly and I have no
performance issues.

> How can we restore the system to
> its previous state, say, 2 months ago without losing recent
> stuff?

I trust you have all your data backed up, right?

I would be inclined to say you are probably infected by malware. Run
anti malware scans and your anti virus scan. What anti virus/anti
malware programs do you have?

Another possibility is that your hard drive is set to PIO due to a power
outage.

From: Bernd on

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> How can we restore the system to
> its previous state, say, 2 months ago without losing recent
> stuff?

That's a classical "contradictio in adiecto" ;-)

Bernd

From: Sanford Aranoff on
C wrote:

> Sanford Aranoff wrote:
> > During the past several weeks my XP SP3 has slowed down.
> > Other people have the same issue. We think this is due to
> > automatic updates that slow the machines down. Done
> > deliberately, we believe.
>
> You're wrong. I have an install of XP sp3 and it has all the updates and
> runs like silk. It boots up in 39 seconds from the time I push the
> off/on until the desktop loads. Programs open very quickly and I have no
> performance issues.
>
> > How can we restore the system to
> > its previous state, say, 2 months ago without losing recent
> > stuff?
>
> I trust you have all your data backed up, right?
>
> I would be inclined to say you are probably infected by malware. Run
> anti malware scans and your anti virus scan. What anti virus/anti
> malware programs do you have?
>
> Another possibility is that your hard drive is set to PIO due to a power
> outage.

Webroot anti-spyware and BitDefender antivirus.