From: mmark751969 on
On Jun 2, 7:18 pm, bod43 <Bo...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 2 June, 18:02, Rob <nom...(a)example.com> wrote:
>

> > mmark751969 <mmark751...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks.  what are your end devices.
>
> > 3725, 1721, 877, 887, Draytek 2600, 2800 all with IPsec vpn.
>
> My recollection is that in good time before the SAs time
> out a new one is negotiated and the traffic then switches
> to the new SA, well before the previous SA is closed.
>
> Perhaps you have some weird timeouts configured
> that is breaking that mechanism?
>
> I have only ever used the defaults and as long as there is
> regular traffic they never go down.
>
> Maybe of course if the polling interval is long, then
> the SAs are going down since there is no traffic. In that
> case there will be a delay establishing a new SA which
> could result in an snmp timeout since it takes a while for
> the crypto to get its head together.
>
> There is probably a setting to stop the SA going down even
> if there is no traffic or you could create sufficient traffic
> so that it does not go down. There are many options
> to create some traffic nowadays.
>
>  - SAA poll
>  - ntp
>  - turn up your snmp frequency- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I'll try increasing snmp polling frequence. right now it's
at two minutes. I'll decrease that. Thanks
From: Rob on
mmark751969 <mmark751969(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks. I'll try increasing snmp polling frequence. right now it's
> at two minutes. I'll decrease that. Thanks

At two minutes there should be no problem whatsoever.
The typical IPsec SA lifetime is one hour.

I have SNMP polling every 5 minutes (by MRTG) and at some irregular
intervals by other scripts, and I see no problems.

There must be something wrong with your VPN config. When you have
configuration for time values, remove it all. The defaults should
work OK.