From: rafa on
Hi

Following a sugestion in a MS blog to solve a issue i thought i had, i
did the following:

stsadm -o upgrade -forceupgrade

Since then, all the sharepoint sites in the server are down, with the
message :

'Invalid configuration database status (ExtendRequired)'

I can see in the log that it doen't find stored procedures like
dbo.proc_getVersion.
what has happened? Did it change the database or it has upgraded itself
and now needs different things in the database???

[this time i've really screwed up.]

My colleagues say the server has ServicePacks installed, but i haven't
seen anything with a version that is not the original.

What the hell has this upgrade done really ??? It took some minutes, so
has it screwed the databases or only something in the sharepoint
'metabase' and i can recover it all by detaching from the databases and
connecting to them again from a new server?

Any information would be greatly appreciated

RAA

From: rafa on
The versions are:

SharePoint Services 2
SharePoint Portal Server 2003
There is no mention to any service packs in the Add/Remoce Programs

Thanks

From: chriske911 on
rafa pretended :
> Hi

> Following a sugestion in a MS blog to solve a issue i thought i had, i
> did the following:

> stsadm -o upgrade -forceupgrade

> Since then, all the sharepoint sites in the server are down, with the
> message :

> 'Invalid configuration database status (ExtendRequired)'

> I can see in the log that it doen't find stored procedures like
> dbo.proc_getVersion.
> what has happened? Did it change the database or it has upgraded itself
> and now needs different things in the database???

> [this time i've really screwed up.]

> My colleagues say the server has ServicePacks installed, but i haven't
> seen anything with a version that is not the original.

> What the hell has this upgrade done really ??? It took some minutes, so
> has it screwed the databases or only something in the sharepoint
> 'metabase' and i can recover it all by detaching from the databases and
> connecting to them again from a new server?

> Any information would be greatly appreciated

> RAA

if you want to be sure you can always install another sharepoint portal
and point it to the backend config and content
the 'new' portal site should work in case of IIS troubles with the
other IIS server and will not work at all in case of SQL troubles
it is that simple
and then you are one step closer to finding out what happened

in case of IIS troubles you can import the settings from the 'new'
server and in case of SQL corruption you can restore a backup, right?

grtz