From: Colin Rowat on
Dear list members,

I use Outlook 2007 under Win XP. In December, I downloaded Nokia's
new "Ovi Suite" software, connecting my Windows machine to my Nokia
handset. Synchronising with Ovi suite truncated the longer entries in
my MSO Contacts fields (some 200 entries). Fortunately, I back up my
HDD regularly, so have the data elsewhere.

I have repeatedly sought Nokia's help in restoring the lost data, but
they have yet to reply. Thus, my backed up Outlook contacts are now
out of date.

I am therefore trying to merge my backed up Contacts data with that
now on my machine. The merge should be sensitive both to December's
truncation, but also to the possibility of data added since then.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Colin Rowat
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Colin Rowat" <c.rowat(a)espero.org.uk> wrote in message

> I use Outlook 2007 under Win XP. In December, I downloaded Nokia's
> new "Ovi Suite" software, connecting my Windows machine to my Nokia
> handset. Synchronising with Ovi suite truncated the longer entries in
> my MSO Contacts fields (some 200 entries). Fortunately, I back up my
> HDD regularly, so have the data elsewhere.
>
> I have repeatedly sought Nokia's help in restoring the lost data, but
> they have yet to reply. Thus, my backed up Outlook contacts are now
> out of date.
>
> I am therefore trying to merge my backed up Contacts data with that
> now on my machine. The merge should be sensitive both to December's
> truncation, but also to the possibility of data added since then.
>
> I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Outlook by itself doesn't have many merge features and none that will take
some data from an old record and add it to the existing data of a newer record
while keeping some of the data in the newer record. You will probably need to
buy something. See if something here helps:
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/contacts.asp
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Colin Rowat on
On 11 Feb, 12:34, "Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]"
<tillman1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Colin Rowat" <c.ro...(a)espero.org.uk> wrote in message

> > I use Outlook 2007 under Win XP.  In December, I downloaded Nokia's
> > new "Ovi Suite" software, connecting my Windows machine to my Nokia
> > handset.  Synchronising with Ovi suite truncated the longer entries in
> > my MSO Contacts fields (some 200 entries).  Fortunately, I back up my
> > HDD regularly, so have the data elsewhere.
>
> > I have repeatedly sought Nokia's help in restoring the lost data, but
> > they have yet to reply.  Thus, my backed up Outlook contacts are now
> > out of date.
>
> > I am therefore trying to merge my backed up Contacts data with that
> > now on my machine.  The merge should be sensitive both to December's
> > truncation, but also to the possibility of data added since then.
>
> > I would be very grateful for any suggestions.
>
> Outlook by itself doesn't have many merge features and none that will take
> some data from an old record and add it to the existing data of a newer record
> while keeping some of the data in the newer record.  You will probably need to
> buy something.  See if something here helps:http://www.slipstick.com/addins/contacts.asp
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Thank you Brian - and please forgive my slow reply: I've just seen
your message now.

Thank you also for the slipstick reference: I didn't notice anything
there, but was led from there to Upstart (www.maclean.com/upstart),
which might do the trick.

Best,

Colin
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

> Thank you also for the slipstick reference: I didn't notice anything
> there, but was led from there to Upstart (www.maclean.com/upstart),
> which might do the trick.

I haven't checked on Upstart's capabilities in a while, but its original
purpose was to make it easier to generate a Unicode PST (Outlook 2003 and
later) from an ANSI PST (Outlook 2002 and earlier). If that's still its
purpose, it might not be what you want.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Pete Maclean on
On Feb 22, 2:41 pm, "Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]"
<tillman1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Colin Rowat" <c.ro...(a)espero.org.uk> wrote in message

> > Thank you also for the slipstick reference: I didn't notice anything
> > there, but was led from there to Upstart (www.maclean.com/upstart),
> > which might do the trick.
>
> I haven't checked on Upstart's capabilities in a while, but its original
> purpose was to make it easier to generate a Unicode PST (Outlook 2003 and
> later) from an ANSI PST (Outlook 2002 and earlier).  If that's still its
> purpose, it might not be what you want.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

I have been in touch with Mr. Rowat and confirmed that Upstart is not
quite the right tool for his need.

Pete Maclean