From: David Kastrup on
Greg Menke <gregm-xyzpdq3(a)toadmail.com> writes:

> Pascal Costanza <pc(a)p-cos.net> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup wrote:

>> > What did you find wrong with Yaced? I have not used it myself (as I
>> > don't _have_ MacOSX), but from what I heard it should be a pretty
>> > straightforward Mac Port, and MacOSX certainly appears well-supported
>> > in the Emacs-CVS code base.
>>
>> Aquamacs works pretty well for me, and even fulfils many of the OP's
>> requirements. (However, he would probably complain that Mac OS X doesn't
>> look enough like Windows, or something... ;)
>
> Aquamacs is pretty nice, just tedious to work with unless you're
> into fooling around with the mouse. Same sort of problem as using
> NTEmacs and cygwin on a Windows box.

NTEmacs should be a normal port IIRC, with the normal defaults. And
in general, Emacs will not open a mouse dialog when you trigger
commands by keyboard. From what I hear, Aquamacs is configured to
open a new frame (as opposed to switching buffers or opening a new
window) for everything, and that means that you can't avoid using the
GUI features for sorting out a self-cluttering desktop.

But most other Emacsen (including the Yaced bundle for MacOSX) should
not do that.

From: Alan Mackenzie on
Tim Bradshaw <tfb+google(a)tfeb.org> wrote on 11 Apr 2006 15:27:52 -0700:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>> Also, the strings on a harp are at a _much_ higher tension than those
>> of a guitar, so you get both a higher volume of sound and calloused
>> fingers from it.

> I'm not sure about *much* - the only set of strings I have to hand for
> a guitar have tensions from 15-20lb, and some very casual searching
> inidcates harps might have up to 30-something. But those guitar
> tensions are or fairly light strings (10-46). I'd guess that
> heavily-strung guitars might double the tension. Of course
> nylon-strung guitars have much lower tensions (and necks without truss
> rods...).

I've never measured the tension. However, it really is much higher on a
harp than a guitar. To pluck a guitar string, you can tickle it with a
finger. To pluck a harp string requires firm muscular support from the
wrist and arm.

> Are harps all wood? Do they have problems with falling to bits under
> load like wooden-framed pianos used to?

Most of the structural bits are wood. The soundboard is always wood,
otherwise it wouldn't sound right. I think the top is, too. On my harp,
the column is carbon fibre for lightness. Harps don't fall to bits under
the load, no - the tension from the 47 strings is an order of magnitude
less than that of a piano's ~220. However, if you let a harp dry out
(several years of very dry air) or swell up from dampness (several years
of very humid air) it can come apart. And if you leave one in a hot car,
the glue can melt and the whole thing comes adrift - so I've been told.

> --tim (now what does this have to do with Lisp?)

:-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm(a)muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

From: Pascal Costanza on
David Kastrup wrote:
> Greg Menke <gregm-xyzpdq3(a)toadmail.com> writes:
>
>>Aquamacs is pretty nice, just tedious to work with unless you're
>>into fooling around with the mouse. Same sort of problem as using
>>NTEmacs and cygwin on a Windows box.
>
> NTEmacs should be a normal port IIRC, with the normal defaults. And
> in general, Emacs will not open a mouse dialog when you trigger
> commands by keyboard. From what I hear, Aquamacs is configured to
> open a new frame (as opposed to switching buffers or opening a new
> window) for everything, and that means that you can't avoid using the
> GUI features for sorting out a self-cluttering desktop.

You can use Command-~ for switching between frames/windows, and the Mac
OS X Expose feature to get an overview of all frames/windows, also via
keyboard shortcuts. It works quite well this way.

Pascal

--
3rd European Lisp Workshop
July 3-4 - Nantes, France - co-located with ECOOP 2006
From: funkyj on
I think someone needs to be compared to hitler before we can put the
thread to rest.

--fj

From: David Kastrup on
"funkyj" <funkyj(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I think someone needs to be compared to hitler before we can put the
> thread to rest.

Is that the regular procedure to obey also when the combatants are
situated in Germany?