From: Rob Warnock on
Tim Bradshaw <tfb+google(a)tfeb.org> wrote:
+---------------
| All the emacs mac ports suck more-or-less equally. That is, as I said,
| why I'm reimplementing it in applescript. (To be precise: I'm
| implementing a PDP10 emulator in applescript, and I then plan on
| getting ITS up and running TECO emacs.)
+---------------

Tim, Tim, why not just stop with TECO itself?!? ;-}
O.k., VTECO, maybe...

-Rob

p.s. Hmmm... What does TECO have that Vi doesn't?
Answer: Tests, branching, and looping in its macros.
*Real* answer: Let's port VTECO to curses! That's
the ticket!

-----
Rob Warnock <rpw3(a)rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403 (650)572-2607

From: Benjamin Teuber on
One more thing (although I don't quite agree with the others...):

Would it be so hard to make the emacs windows (besides shell-mode which
is great as it is) look like any other modern application? I know it's
just "aesthetic sugar", but to me (x)emacs looks just terribly ugly...

Benjamin
From: Robert Uhl on
Benjamin Teuber <beteub(a)web.de> writes:

> Would it be so hard to make the emacs windows (besides shell-mode
> which is great as it is) look like any other modern application? I
> know it's just "aesthetic sugar", but to me (x)emacs looks just
> terribly ugly...

Well, no 'modern' apps that I know of have a mini-bar-like feature--and
it's really key to a _lot_ of what makes emacs such a great
environment. That, and the ability to get out of any problem without
harming by hitting C-g until things return to normal...

`What would you do if you won $1,000,000?'
`Well, I guess I'd spend the first $900,000 on women and beer, then just
waste the rest.'
From: Robert Figura on
Rob Warnock wrote:

> p.s. Hmmm... What does TECO have that Vi doesn't?
> Answer: Tests, branching, and looping in its macros.

It does, if you use metaprogramming.

Regards
- Robert Figura

--
/* mandlsig.c v0.23 (c) by Robert Figura */
I=1702;float O,o,i;main(l){for(;I--;putchar("oO .,\nm>cot.bitamea\

From: David Kastrup on
"Tim Bradshaw" <tfb+google(a)tfeb.org> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> XEmacs is not Emacs.
>
> Um, yes, it is.

It is a fork, so you can't blame the Emacs developers for the
deficiencies in XEmacs. Enabling font-lock by default in a version
that is clearly not fit for general use is not something that happened
in Emacs. When Emacs development made the decision to enable it by
default in future versions, _months_ of work were invested until the
state was deemed tolerable. And XEmacs has an even earlier version of
font-lock.

So for the purpose of complaining about unusable defaults, you simply
can't blame the Emacs developers, and it is extremely unfair to
chastize Emacs over several postings and then mention in passing that
you are actually talking about XEmacs, a completely different project.

> It may not be whatever your little cult prefers to anoint,

Emacs is free software, and anybody may fork it if he wishes. Blaming
the original developers for the bad design and code of people forking
it, however, is not fair.

>> The font lock code of XEmacs is older than that of Emacs 21.1, and
>> Emacs 21.1 did not turn on font locking by default for _good_
>> reason.
>
> This is nothing to do with that - I used font lock on Xemacs on
> sub-100-MHz (probably sub 50MHz) machines just fine, and before FSF
> Emacs *had* fonts (well, technically I used it on lemacs of course).

That's probably some entirely different code. Anyway, the problem
with the XEmacs font lock code is that it does _not_ work "just fine"
in all cases, merely in most. Whether this has been different at some
previous time, no idea. But at the current point of time, XEmacs
font-lock is trailing behind the Emacs code considerably.

>> And what one hears about the XEmacs MacOSX port does not
>> particularly recommend it, anyway.
>
> All the emacs mac ports suck more-or-less equally.

What did you find wrong with Yaced? I have not used it myself (as I
don't _have_ MacOSX), but from what I heard it should be a pretty
straightforward Mac Port, and MacOSX certainly appears well-supported
in the Emacs-CVS code base.

> That is, as I said, why I'm reimplementing it in applescript. (To
> be precise: I'm implementing a PDP10 emulator in applescript, and I
> then plan on getting ITS up and running TECO emacs.)

You might experience some difference in usability as compared to
Yaced, and I doubt it is all positive.