From: Greg Menke on

David Kastrup <dak(a)gnu.org> writes:

> Alan Mackenzie <acm(a)muc.de> writes:
>
> Uh, gleaming efficiency? Sorry to disagree, but Emacs is a traveling
> junk yard and freak show. A junk yard which has got everything, and
> building materials for building everything else. It's not as much
> "honed" rather than having lots of people making it their home and
> improving their personal corner of the junk yard. People are always
> running around with soldering irons and swapping their favorite pieces
> of scrap and construction recipes. It is a gathering ground for Mad
> Scientists(TM) in the text processing area.
>
> > Most other editors I find clumsy indeed.
>
> They are not necessarily clumsy. Just not accommodating. Emacs is
> probably the clumsiest and most dissociated piece of software ever.
> But it works with you, lives with you. It's a walrus tangoing with
> you, following your lead like a feather. If you have learnt how to
> properly lead and don't make it flap on your feet.

This is probably the best appraisal of Emacs I think I have ever read.
Many thanks!

Gregm

From: Alan Mackenzie on
David Kastrup <dak(a)gnu.org> wrote on Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:07:50 +0200:
> "Tim Bradshaw" <tfb+google(a)tfeb.org> writes:

> Emacs has been beaten into a black hole. Get too close to it, and
> you'll never escape again. It bends reality.

David, is there anything which makes you happy? ;-)

>> And for all sorts of reasons, in almost all cases you're better off
>> learning it as it is than trying to make it fit with whatever is
>> fashionable today: in the same way that you're better off learning the
>> guitar than inventing a new, better guitar.

> A harp. Lots and lots of strings, and pedals, so that you are not
> restricted to A minor, but can also play M-C-major. Harp harp harp.

47 strings and 7 pedals, actually. Also 88 rotating disks, just as a
piano has 88 keys. A harp is as different from a guitar as Emacs is from
Nano. Principally, the strings are at an angle to the soundboard rather
than being parallel to it. Also, the strings on a harp are at a _much_
higher tension than those of a guitar, so you get both a higher volume of
sound and calloused fingers from it. A typical harp weighs 35 - 40 kg,
and is a bloody pain to cart around.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm(a)muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

From: Alan Mackenzie on
David Kastrup <dak(a)gnu.org> wrote on Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:17:30 +0200:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm(a)muc.de> writes:

>> Sacha <no(a)address.spam> wrote on Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:02:20 GMT:

>>> "Tim Bradshaw" <tfb+google(a)tfeb.org> wrote

>>> Agreed, that's why i choose to easy route...learn the keystrokes
>>> while not being stuck with emacs itself... When i'll feel more
>>> comfortable, maybe i'll switch... I just feel it is pretty bad that
>>> we have to work with this ages old tool.

>> I think it's good that we've got the choice. Emacs is decades old
>> rather than months old, and it has been honed to gleaming efficiency
>> in that time.

> Uh, gleaming efficiency? Sorry to disagree, but Emacs is a traveling
> junk yard and freak show.

Just like the human body after a few gazillion years of evolution, you
mean?

> A junk yard which has got everything, and building materials for
> building everything else. It's not as much "honed" rather than having
> lots of people making it their home and improving their personal corner
> of the junk yard.

But it's just brilliant for editing a TeX file or a C file, though.

> People are always running around with soldering irons and swapping
> their favorite pieces of scrap and construction recipes. It is a
> gathering ground for Mad Scientists(TM) in the text processing area.

And what other editor can offer that? :-)

>> Most other editors I find clumsy indeed.

> They are not necessarily clumsy. Just not accommodating. Emacs is
> probably the clumsiest and most dissociated piece of software ever.
> But it works with you, lives with you. It's a walrus tangoing with
> you, .....

yeah, but I'm not a carpenter[*].

> .... following your lead like a feather. If you have learnt how to
> properly lead and don't make it flap on your feet.

[*] For those from non-English speaking cultures:

"The Walrus and the Carpenter
Were walking close at hand:
They wept like anything to see
Such quantities of sand:
'If this were only cleared away,'
They said, 'it would be grand.'"

From "Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll.

Do you think we're sufficiently off-topic, yet?

From: Tim Bradshaw on
Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Also, the strings on a harp are at a _much_
> higher tension than those of a guitar, so you get both a higher volume of
> sound and calloused fingers from it.

I'm not sure about *much* - the only set of strings I have to hand for
a guitar have tensions from 15-20lb, and some very casual searching
inidcates harps might have up to 30-something. But those guitar
tensions are or fairly light strings (10-46). I'd guess that
heavily-strung guitars might double the tension. Of course
nylon-strung guitars have much lower tensions (and necks without truss
rods...). Are harps all wood? Do they have problems with falling to
bits under load like wooden-framed pianos used to?

--tim (now what does this have to do with Lisp?)

From: Miles Bader on
"Tim Bradshaw" <tfb+google(a)tfeb.org> writes:
> It should be able to keep up when I type. Yes, I mean even with
> font-lock turned on.

Er, can it not now?

I'm using rather old hardware (450 MHz PIII), but even the latest Emacs
with all the goo-goo turned on feels rather speedy and light-weight --
especially compared to typical modern bloatware (for a truly slothful
experience, try Eclipse or VS...).

[Of course this probably doesn't apply when you're trying to process
that massive database in a text-buffer using elisp!]

-Miles
--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"