From: David Kastrup on
Benjamin Teuber <beteub(a)web.de> writes:

> One more thing (although I don't quite agree with the others...):
>
> Would it be so hard to make the emacs windows (besides shell-mode
> which is great as it is) look like any other modern application? I
> know it's just "aesthetic sugar", but to me (x)emacs looks just
> terribly ugly...

The current developer variant of Emacs looks rather native on Gtk+,
Windows and MacOSX. XEmacs, on the other hand, has its own widget
abstraction layers and looks consistently ugly everywhere. But that
means that it can easier be ported to different platforms, with more
consistent results. In theory.

From: John Thingstad on
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 05:15:26 +0200, Dale Henderson <nilram(a)hotpop.com>
wrote:

> Because using [home] and [end] makes me take my fingers off the home
> row.
>
> Because M-<, M-> (or [home] [end] ) already selects all. (How often do
> you need to select the entire buffer anyway.)
> Because the world doesn't have to be "Windows-compatible". (Are you
> guys that write window managers that steal M-TAB reading this?) Emacs
> was here first. If anything, Windows should be emacs compatible.
>
> Now I just need to go look up the rules to make windows firefox use
> emacs keybindings.

The whole point of Common User Access (CUA) is that all programs under it
behave in the same way.
Personally I find it intensly annoying when <home> takes me to the
beginning
of buffer and the first thing I do is to rebind it.
The copy and past I usually leave alone though.. I like <Ctrl>-c to
bind to the mode commands. Besides Cut-Yank (<Ctrl-<space>, <Ctrl>-k,
<Ctrl>-w, <Ctrl>-y, <Alt>-y ...) which I prefer is not compatible with
the windows copy paste anyhow. If I need to 'copy to'/'paste from' the
clipboard
I can still select them from the edit menu.

Given that the keystrokes are completely programmable reassigning
keys is a trivil affair.

What I would like, however, is to put each buffer I edit on a tabbed pane
which
is more according to windows standard and gives me a better overview.
(Yes, I know of list-buffers <Ctrl>-x-<Ctrl>-b) and switch-buffer
(<Ctrl>-x-b).)

I have used EMACS since 1987 so we go way back..
In fact programming EMACS modes was my first introduction to Lisp
programming.
Now I usually use Common-Lisp..
For the record EMACS is much more newbe friendly now then when I started
using it.
(EMACS 18 or so..)
I particular some of the more confusing commands are turned of and must be
deliberatly enabled. My first encounter with narrow-to-region (<Ctrl>-x-n-n
was not a plesant one.. Now I use it occasionally and leave it on. Just
remember
<Ctrl>-x-n-w to see the whole buffer again.

I like EMACS and I am used to it. I love the powerfull keyboard macro
features.
You dont really appreciate the need for commands like next-paragraph,
end-of-function, end-of-expression etc.. until you write generic key
macroes
to transform text. Then EMACS, in particular it's mode to filetype
commands,
really show their power. I remeber starting with a spesification of Java
byte codes
and converting it to a working java disassembler by mostly just
transforming the
document by the use of macroes in 20 minutes (!). I can't think of any
other
editor that lets me do that. Even though I use Visual Studio, which isn't
half
bad, I still sometimes find myself taking the task over in EMACS because I
need
the superior macro facilleties sometimes..

By the way if you hate EMACS (and some apperently do) UltraEdit isn't half
bad.
(on Windows)

From: Pascal Costanza on
David Kastrup wrote:
> "Tim Bradshaw" <tfb+google(a)tfeb.org> writes:
>
>>All the emacs mac ports suck more-or-less equally.
>

> What did you find wrong with Yaced? I have not used it myself (as I
> don't _have_ MacOSX), but from what I heard it should be a pretty
> straightforward Mac Port, and MacOSX certainly appears well-supported
> in the Emacs-CVS code base.

Aquamacs works pretty well for me, and even fulfils many of the OP's
requirements. (However, he would probably complain that Mac OS X doesn't
look enough like Windows, or something... ;)

Pascal

--
3rd European Lisp Workshop
July 3-4 - Nantes, France - co-located with ECOOP 2006
From: Bruce Stephens on
M Jared Finder <jared(a)hpalace.com> writes:

> Miles Bader wrote:
>> M Jared Finder <jared(a)hpalace.com> writes:
>>> also rebinds C-a to select all, instead of beginning-of-line.
>> Erg. That's just evil...
>
> Why? The home and end keys are on every keyboard I've seen in the
> past ten years, and work fine under xterm and ssh just fine. Why do
> we need C-a and C-e any more?

Because beginning-of-line is rather a common operation, and C-a is
more convenient than Home on most keyboards (it's right under my
fingers, and in the same place all the time, whereas Home, while on
all keyboards I use, is in slightly different positions because on
some that block of keys is 2x3, and on some it's 3x2). Wanting to
select the whole buffer strikes me as not very important---not worth
such a convenient keybinding as C-a, anyway. C-x h is quite
sufficient for that.

(For what it's worth, Home appears to be bound to
move-beginning-of-line in Emacs by default, and End appears to be
bound to move-end-of-line. It is in the Emacs I'm using at the
moment, anyway, and I'm sure I haven't bound them myself.)
From: Greg Menke on
Pascal Costanza <pc(a)p-cos.net> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
> > "Tim Bradshaw" <tfb+google(a)tfeb.org> writes:
> >
> >>All the emacs mac ports suck more-or-less equally.
> > What did you find wrong with Yaced? I have not used it myself (as I
> > don't _have_ MacOSX), but from what I heard it should be a pretty
> > straightforward Mac Port, and MacOSX certainly appears well-supported
> > in the Emacs-CVS code base.
>
> Aquamacs works pretty well for me, and even fulfils many of the OP's
> requirements. (However, he would probably complain that Mac OS X doesn't
> look enough like Windows, or something... ;)

Aquamacs is pretty nice, just tedious to work with unless you're into
fooling around with the mouse. Same sort of problem as using NTEmacs
and cygwin on a Windows box.

Gregm