From: Bruce on
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:25:58 +0100, Alfred Molon
<alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>In article <hjv99s$no4$1(a)rjf7r.motzarella.org>,
>bobfnospam(a)duxsysnospam.com says...
>> If having three imagers is desirable for a better video camera, are
>> there any three-imager still cameras? If not, why?
>
>There are cameras from Foveon which have special sensors which capture
>all three colour components at each pixel, as if the camera had three
>sensors.

Back in 2000, Hasselblad planned a medium format 16 MP DSLR with three
separate Foveon-made CMOS sensors, one each for red, blue and green.
It was to have been called the Hasselblad DFinity.

http://everything2.com/title/Hasselblad+DFinity

The project was never completed. Some prototypes were shown to a
select few journalists, and that was it.

Foveon went on to design and manufacture a three-layer sensor that is
used in Sigma DSLRs and Sigma P&S digicams.

From: nospam on
In article <MPG.25cd62c5ef75e1dc98c21c(a)news.supernews.com>, Alfred
Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> There are cameras from Foveon which have special sensors which capture
> all three colour components at each pixel, as if the camera had three
> sensors.

here we go again. foveon does *not* capture rgb. it measures three
overlapping ranges and calculates rgb from that. it has all sorts of
problems, and at the end of the day, the output is worse than competing
bayer cameras.
From: nospam on
In article <hjvll9$9hm$1(a)freespeech.eternal-september.org>, Save $3.99
<dev(a)null.null> wrote:

> Name one video camera that uses a Foveon sensor? Canon offers the XL-H1 with
> a 3-chip 1/3", approx. 1.67 megapixels per CCD, CCD.

the sigma dp1 and dp2 do video. it's only 320 x 240 though.
From: nospam on
In article <atn6m5tep85nu7mf5n6e21h6kknuae6lo9(a)4ax.com>, Bruce
<docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Back in 2000, Hasselblad planned a medium format 16 MP DSLR with three
> separate Foveon-made CMOS sensors, one each for red, blue and green.
> It was to have been called the Hasselblad DFinity.
>
> http://everything2.com/title/Hasselblad+DFinity
>
> The project was never completed. Some prototypes were shown to a
> select few journalists, and that was it.

it was on display at the photo plus expo in new york (with a *really*
attractive model, but i digress).
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <hjvll9$9hm$1(a)freespeech.eternal-september.org>,
dev(a)null.null says...

> "Alfred Molon" wrote in message
> > In article <hjv99s$no4$1(a)rjf7r.motzarella.org>,
> > bobfnospam(a)duxsysnospam.com says...
> >> If having three imagers is desirable for a better video camera, are
> >> there any three-imager still cameras? If not, why?
> >
> > There are cameras from Foveon which have special sensors which capture
> > all three colour components at each pixel, as if the camera had three
> > sensors.
> > --
> >
> Name one video camera that uses a Foveon sensor? Canon offers the XL-H1 with
> a 3-chip 1/3", approx. 1.67 megapixels per CCD, CCD.

The OP was asking for a still camera.
--

Alfred Molon