From: RichA on
"It's not a phone, it's not a netbook, in fact, it can't do anything
substantive!" But the GEEKS will buy it because they need to to keep
their place in the Apple cult. So their guru, a gaunt and sickly-
looking Jobs pronounces it the Second Coming ,until the next
overpriced piece of Apple junk comes along. Or, the "upgrade" they'll
bring out in 3-4 months, whose components and design were available 2
years ago!
From: Ray Fischer on
RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>"It's not a phone, it's not a netbook, in fact, it can't do anything
>substantive!" But the GEEKS will buy it because they need to to keep

Rich hates everything.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Bruce on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:41:12 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
>"It's not a phone, it's not a netbook, in fact, it can't do anything
>substantive!" But the GEEKS will buy it because they need to to keep
>their place in the Apple cult. So their guru, a gaunt and sickly-
>looking Jobs pronounces it the Second Coming ,until the next
>overpriced piece of Apple junk comes along. Or, the "upgrade" they'll
>bring out in 3-4 months, whose components and design were available 2
>years ago!

When Steve Jobs unveiled the thing, I burst out laughing. I genuinely
thought that the grossly oversized iPhone was a joke, and that he
would go on to reveal the "real" new product a few moments later. Then
I realised that it wasn't a joke, and this was it ...

The iPad is notable because the list of things it cannot do is longer
(and more significant) than the list of things it can. There is no
camera, no phone, no Java, no Flash and no multitasking.

I use an iPhone and am reasonably happy with it. A slightly larger
version offering a bigger display would be welcome. What I definitely
don't need is something that is so much larger *and* loses so much
functionality.

The iPad is also impractical. The screen is vulnerable and it will
need a strong protective case that provides a lid over the display,
making it just like a netbook, but bigger. What is the point?

I use a Toshiba netbook and see absolutely no reason even to consider
buying an iPad. After a succession of really cool products over the
years, it is bizarre to see something so seriously uncool from Apple.

But Apple's diehard fans will see it as a must-have, so it will sell
to them. The question is, who else will buy it?

As an iPhone, Mac and MacBook user I must be in the target market, but
there is no way I will be buying an iPad.

From: John McWilliams on
Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:41:12 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> "It's not a phone, it's not a netbook, in fact, it can't do anything
>> substantive!" But the GEEKS will buy it because they need to to keep
>> their place in the Apple cult. So their guru, a gaunt and sickly-
>> looking Jobs pronounces it the Second Coming ,until the next
>> overpriced piece of Apple junk comes along. Or, the "upgrade" they'll
>> bring out in 3-4 months, whose components and design were available 2
>> years ago!
>

> When Steve Jobs unveiled the thing, I burst out laughing. I genuinely
> thought that the grossly oversized iPhone was a joke, and that he
> would go on to reveal the "real" new product a few moments later. Then
> I realised that it wasn't a joke, and this was it ...
>
> The iPad is notable because the list of things it cannot do is longer
> (and more significant) than the list of things it can. There is no
> camera, no phone, no Java, no Flash and no multitasking.
>
> I use an iPhone and am reasonably happy with it. A slightly larger
> version offering a bigger display would be welcome. What I definitely
> don't need is something that is so much larger *and* loses so much
> functionality.
>
> The iPad is also impractical. The screen is vulnerable and it will
> need a strong protective case that provides a lid over the display,
> making it just like a netbook, but bigger. What is the point?
>
> I use a Toshiba netbook and see absolutely no reason even to consider
> buying an iPad. After a succession of really cool products over the
> years, it is bizarre to see something so seriously uncool from Apple.
>
> But Apple's diehard fans will see it as a must-have, so it will sell
> to them. The question is, who else will buy it?
>
> As an iPhone, Mac and MacBook user I must be in the target market, but
> there is no way I will be buying an iPad.

Excellent. Perhaps you can take this off your list of things you'll
whinge about, then.
Or not.

--
John McWilliams
From: igotsaurus on
The Ipad is a large Iphone sans phone and camera locked to the Apple On-line
store and lacking Adobe flash capability.
It is Apple's next Newton.
The Ipod and Iphone are great devices and Apple deserves all the success
they have had with these game changing devices.
Apple all in one desktops are pretty, overpriced boxes that use obsolete
hardware in order to run a niche Unix based OS that does absolutely nothing
for the end user except restrict their choice of software and hardware.
Imacs are nearly useless for digital image processing because their LCDs
cannot be calibrated properly. The banner sales for these clunkers is a
testament to the stupidity of American consumers and their susceptibility to
television advertising.