From: nospam on
In article
<2010012910311975249-christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmailcom>, C J
Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Oddly enough, the pictures of the iPad on Apple's web site show the
> thing using Flash.

what pictures are those?

> It did not use Flash during Jobs' presentation, just
> showing the broken Flash icon, but it appears to be using Flash in the
> demonstration video on the web site. So either Apple's web site is
> being very misleading in its promo materials or Apple intends to allow
> Flash to be used on the iPad.

or you are confused about what it is you're seeing.

> Personally, I think the ad is just misleading. Apple has long hated
> Flash. Of course, they used to hate multi-button mice and tablet
> computers, too.

that's false. apple has had hardware support for multi-button mice for
over 15 years and before that all that was needed was a custom driver.
they also have supported contextual menus for over 20 years.

> It will also be popular as an e-book reader. The base model is only $10
> more than the Kindle DX, but offers a color screen, better interface,
> and the ability to do thousands of useful things other than read books.

yep.

> The iPad should also be a big hit as a game device. The larger screen
> should make games like Sim City, the Sims, and racing games much more
> interesting and easier to play with a lot more real estate for your
> fingers. I do not see Blizzard supporting the platform with World of
> Warcraft any time soon, but you never know.

it's going to be a seriously hot gaming device, from 3d games to simple
things like solitaire or scrabble. ever try to play scrabble on an
iphone? the screen is too damned small for that.
From: Bruce on
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:39:56 -0800, C J Campbell
<christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 2010-01-29 05:29:03 -0800, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> said:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:41:12 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> "It's not a phone, it's not a netbook, in fact, it can't do anything
>>> substantive!" But the GEEKS will buy it because they need to to keep
>>> their place in the Apple cult. So their guru, a gaunt and sickly-
>>> looking Jobs pronounces it the Second Coming ,until the next
>>> overpriced piece of Apple junk comes along. Or, the "upgrade" they'll
>>> bring out in 3-4 months, whose components and design were available 2
>>> years ago!
>>

>> When Steve Jobs unveiled the thing, I burst out laughing. I genuinely
>> thought that the grossly oversized iPhone was a joke, and that he
>> would go on to reveal the "real" new product a few moments later. Then
>> I realised that it wasn't a joke, and this was it ...
>>
>> The iPad is notable because the list of things it cannot do is longer
>> (and more significant) than the list of things it can. There is no
>> camera, no phone, no Java, no Flash and no multitasking.
>
>You want a 10 inch phone? Whatever for? Now, you could do VOIP phone
>calling on the iPad -- Apple just put 3G support for VOIP into its SDK
>-- so I suppose you could use it as a phone if you had a headset.
>
>The iPad does allow multitasking with the built-in apps.
>

>> I use an iPhone and am reasonably happy with it. A slightly larger
>> version offering a bigger display would be welcome. What I definitely
>> don't need is something that is so much larger *and* loses so much
>> functionality.
>
>It isn't supposed to replace your iPhone. It is supposed to replace
>your Kindle.
>

>> The iPad is also impractical. The screen is vulnerable and it will
>> need a strong protective case that provides a lid over the display,
>> making it just like a netbook, but bigger. What is the point?
>>
>> I use a Toshiba netbook and see absolutely no reason even to consider
>> buying an iPad. After a succession of really cool products over the
>> years, it is bizarre to see something so seriously uncool from Apple.
>
>You know, I have an alarm clock on my nightstand. Why would I be so
>stupid as to buy a watch that costs $100 more when the alarm clock
>already does more than the watch will ever do and for far less money?
>Obviously, the watch will never catch on except with geeks who are real
>diehard clock fans.
>

>> But Apple's diehard fans will see it as a must-have, so it will sell
>> to them. The question is, who else will buy it?
>
>Photographers who want a larger display device for their portfolios,
>gamers, e-book readers, people who do not have a notebook

Well, thanks for working so hard. As a result, I am even more
convinced that I neither need or want an iPad.

A dud from Apple? Sure looks that way. :-(

From: J. Clarke on
nospam wrote:
> In article
> <2010012910311975249-christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmailcom>, C J
> Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oddly enough, the pictures of the iPad on Apple's web site show the
>> thing using Flash.
>
> what pictures are those?
>
>> It did not use Flash during Jobs' presentation, just
>> showing the broken Flash icon, but it appears to be using Flash in
>> the demonstration video on the web site. So either Apple's web site
>> is being very misleading in its promo materials or Apple intends to
>> allow Flash to be used on the iPad.
>
> or you are confused about what it is you're seeing.
>
>> Personally, I think the ad is just misleading. Apple has long hated
>> Flash. Of course, they used to hate multi-button mice and tablet
>> computers, too.
>
> that's false. apple has had hardware support for multi-button mice for
> over 15 years and before that all that was needed was a custom driver.
> they also have supported contextual menus for over 20 years.
>
>> It will also be popular as an e-book reader. The base model is only
>> $10 more than the Kindle DX, but offers a color screen, better
>> interface, and the ability to do thousands of useful things other
>> than read books.
>
> yep.

Lower resolution, shorter battery life, and no 3G. Color doesn't add
anything to book reading. Not looking good as an ebook reader. To get
equivalent functionality in the ipad you have to add another 130 bucks plus
the cost of a wireless plan to the ipad, and it's still got the short
battery life and low resolution.

But if it won't fit in a hip pocket and survive being sat on it's not a
viable reader for _me_ so both have a way to go.

From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-01-29 13:13:57 -0800, John A. <john(a)nowhere.invalid> said:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:38:10 -0800, C J Campbell
> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-01-29 10:43:04 -0800, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> said:
>>
>>> In article
>>> <2010012910311975249-christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmailcom>, C J
>>> Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> that's false. apple has had hardware support for multi-button mice for
>>> over 15 years and before that all that was needed was a custom driver.
>>> they also have supported contextual menus for over 20 years.
>>
>> But Apple refused to bring out a multi-button mouse before the Mighty
>> Mouse. Of course, when they did bring out a multi-button mouse, it had
>> seven buttons.
>
> Of course! One for each finger!
>
> [...]
>> I could see the iPad being a big hit in hospitals, too -- all the
>> patient's information right there, downloaded from the wireless system.
>
> Netbooks are being used for that already. The OBGYN practice we went
> to for our pregnancy had them.
>
> [...]

Yeah, but they don't look like something from Star Trek.

>> Now, if we could get it to read credit cards and use it as a point of
>> sale device...
>
> As a retailer I don't think I'd want to have a cash register that
> could walk out the door, or use any wireless devices for handling
> credit card info. IIRC, the two biggest card # theft on record was
> from DSW and was made possible by their use of wireless connectivity
> for their checkout terminals.

I wonder how the Apple Store manages to do it? They have those little
pocket point of sale devices and will check you out anywhere in the
store.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: nospam on
In article <hjvi8m030fe(a)news7.newsguy.com>, J. Clarke
<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:

> Lower resolution, shorter battery life, and no 3G. Color doesn't add
> anything to book reading. Not looking good as an ebook reader.

a lot of books have colour photos and future books can take advantage
of being able to include movies and other content.

> > To get
> equivalent functionality in the ipad you have to add another 130 bucks plus
> the cost of a wireless plan to the ipad, and it's still got the short
> battery life and low resolution.

only if you need to buy a book when away from wifi. for some people
that might be a problem, for others it won't be.

> But if it won't fit in a hip pocket and survive being sat on it's not a
> viable reader for _me_ so both have a way to go.

that's fine. can't please everyone.