From: Allen on
On 1/29/2010 3:13 PM, John A. wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:38:10 -0800, C J Campbell
> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-01-29 10:43:04 -0800, nospam<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> said:
>>
>>> In article
>>> <2010012910311975249-christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmailcom>, C J
>>> Campbell<christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> that's false. apple has had hardware support for multi-button mice for
>>> over 15 years and before that all that was needed was a custom driver.
>>> they also have supported contextual menus for over 20 years.
>>
>> But Apple refused to bring out a multi-button mouse before the Mighty
>> Mouse. Of course, when they did bring out a multi-button mouse, it had
>> seven buttons.
>
> Of course! One for each finger!
>
> [...]
>> I could see the iPad being a big hit in hospitals, too -- all the
>> patient's information right there, downloaded from the wireless system.
>
> Netbooks are being used for that already. The OBGYN practice we went
> to for our pregnancy had them.
>
> [...]
>> Now, if we could get it to read credit cards and use it as a point of
>> sale device...
>
> As a retailer I don't think I'd want to have a cash register that
> could walk out the door, or use any wireless devices for handling
> credit card info. IIRC, the two biggest card # theft on record was
> from DSW and was made possible by their use of wireless connectivity
> for their checkout terminals.
I have had CJC in my killfile for years, but I would like to let him
know that the hospitals in my part of the world do all right with
notebooks--you know, those things with real keyboards and lids that can
close (nice for privacy from casual snoopers).
Allen
From: ray on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:41:12 -0800, RichA wrote:

> "It's not a phone, it's not a netbook, in fact, it can't do anything
> substantive!" But the GEEKS will buy it because they need to to keep
> their place in the Apple cult. So their guru, a gaunt and sickly-
> looking Jobs pronounces it the Second Coming ,until the next overpriced
> piece of Apple junk comes along. Or, the "upgrade" they'll bring out in
> 3-4 months, whose components and design were available 2 years ago!

Just what we need. Half a netbook for twice the cost.
From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-01-29 18:05:57 -0800, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> said:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:41:12 -0800, RichA wrote:
>
>> "It's not a phone, it's not a netbook, in fact, it can't do anything
>> substantive!" But the GEEKS will buy it because they need to to keep
>> their place in the Apple cult. So their guru, a gaunt and sickly-
>> looking Jobs pronounces it the Second Coming ,until the next overpriced
>> piece of Apple junk comes along. Or, the "upgrade" they'll bring out in
>> 3-4 months, whose components and design were available 2 years ago!
>
> Just what we need. Half a netbook for twice the cost.

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? You can get a Dell netbook for $279
(okay, that is a little more than half the cost, but near enough) and
it will have a hard drive, USB ports, Windows, etc. It has a 10" screen.

The iPad will have a 10"screen, no hard drive, and USB available only
on a dongle. It will also be lighter and thinner.

Both will have keyboards, except that the netbook's keyboard will be
smaller and will not obscure part of the screen, while the iPad's
keyboard will be configurable to do things like numeric keypads,
Chinese, or whatever. The netbook would probably be slightly less
unpleasant to type on for long periods of time.

The netbook's screen will not be rotatable but the iPad's screen can be
rotated easily.

The netbook will probably be less susceptible to damage from ordinary
bumps and scratches.

The iPad will have considerably longer battery life than the netbook.

Neither one will have a phone or GPS or camera. You can get a GPS for
the netbook for $120 and still be under the cost of an iPad.

The iPad will have a superior interface.

And I think, bottom line, that is what will sell iPads. It is not about
what the iPad actually does -- the iPad will do just about anything
that the netbook will -- but the way it does it.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: ray on
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:06:20 -0800, C J Campbell wrote:

> On 2010-01-29 18:05:57 -0800, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> said:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:41:12 -0800, RichA wrote:
>>
>>> "It's not a phone, it's not a netbook, in fact, it can't do anything
>>> substantive!" But the GEEKS will buy it because they need to to keep
>>> their place in the Apple cult. So their guru, a gaunt and sickly-
>>> looking Jobs pronounces it the Second Coming ,until the next
>>> overpriced piece of Apple junk comes along. Or, the "upgrade" they'll
>>> bring out in 3-4 months, whose components and design were available 2
>>> years ago!
>>
>> Just what we need. Half a netbook for twice the cost.
>
> Well, that's the thing, isn't it? You can get a Dell netbook for $279
> (okay, that is a little more than half the cost, but near enough) and it
> will have a hard drive, USB ports, Windows, etc. It has a 10" screen.

None that I get - Linux only in this house. My wife's eeepc runs Debian.

> The iPad will have a 10"screen, no hard drive, and USB available only on
> a dongle. It will also be lighter and thinner.
>
> Both will have keyboards, except that the netbook's keyboard will be
> smaller and will not obscure part of the screen, while the iPad's
> keyboard will be configurable to do things like numeric keypads,
> Chinese, or whatever. The netbook would probably be slightly less
> unpleasant to type on for long periods of time.
>
> The netbook's screen will not be rotatable but the iPad's screen can be
> rotated easily.
>
> The netbook will probably be less susceptible to damage from ordinary
> bumps and scratches.
>
> The iPad will have considerably longer battery life than the netbook.

Not so much if you get a netbook with SSD rather than hard drive.

> Neither one will have a phone or GPS or camera. You can get a GPS for
> the netbook for $120 and still be under the cost of an iPad.
>
> The iPad will have a superior interface.

A matter of individual preference, I think.

From: Charles on

"Ray Fischer" <rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote in message
> RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>"It's not a phone, it's not a netbook, in fact, it can't do anything
>>substantive!" But the GEEKS will buy it because they need to to keep
>
> Rich hates everything.

Yes, and thanks to his abettors, he continues to decrease the signal to
noise ratio here.